HELP my ears have gone blind

Hi guys, first time poster, long time subscriber, although I haven’t been active on the site for a while now…:slight_smile:

I’ve been working on this latest track of mine for a lot longer than I should have really and I’m finding myself second guessing, reworking and just generally tweaking the crap out of it. Then I saw a post on FB about asking for feedback on here so I thought, why not? :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/scratchhowler/scratch-howler-came-to-jack-pre-master/s-Vc53x

It’s a Tech House track, quite a few things going on, but not sure if its missing something… Anyway, I wont go into details about what I think as it could just be me being critical through over-listening, but would like thoughts about arrangement, sound choice that sort of thing. I’ve done a rough mixdown, but not limited so you may need to turn the gain up.

Cheers,

Carl

Hey @en1gma

Nice track :wink: Arrangement wise, maybe a variation in the bass pattern and the clap ( which I found too much present over time and since they are very repetitive ) could make the track more interesting with either some pattern variation or less parts playing those. Also the drop after the second break you’re introducing around 4:50 with some delayed perc and variation + introducing the bass on the first note catches my ears, not sure about that transition.

For the sounds choice, I like very much the percussive elements behind the main drums, really adding to the track IMO. Back to that clap, find it much present in terms of levels, the ride also, maybe those 2 could be slightly leveled down. That main synth lead is also quite dominant and a bit in your face since it’s very mono ( any delay or reverb on this one ? ), might be interesting to spread it a bit, or level it down and add another background layer with a wider place in the stereo field.

The mix itself is very mono compatible, don’t know if you’re aiming at a PA play or club track but though it’s a good point for the mono, I think you could expand the sides & the stereo image, it could make the voice elements & those nice percussive effects more present and the overall mix more wide, but again if you’re after a club ready track, it’s might not be the desired effect, but here on SndClnd I think it could be cool.

But yea, nice work, some slight variation with that bass and main beat could enhance it I think, the rest might be subjective but in short those are the points that catches my ears.

Hope that can help :wink:

Cheers !

Hey Tekalight, thanks very much for listening and for the detailed feedback :smile:

I’ll definitely take a look at the bass notes after the second break and the volume of the claps and rides. How would you go about making something wider? I have panned instruments etc but always hear that the track is very mono, which for Club plays is great, but I’m probably a long way off getting to that level :joy:

I’l play about with the bass and clap patterns too and try and relax the feel of them a bit more.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the comments

IMO, panning is one thing, it’ great for helping certain elements to sit more in the mix or to create some interest like with hats & such elements i.e. Now depending on your Daw and your source material & channel, panning may just result in moving elements to the L or R channels, it’s not affecting the stereo spread of those sounds.

Tools like the free iZotope Ozone Imager of Flux Stereo Tool can help to expand the stereo field. Using them per channels is an option, or you could use send channels. Other Fx that can widen the sound are delays and reverb.

To check your stereo image, Flux Stereo Tool can help too and HoRNet Plugins has also got a free StereoView plugin ( I think you just need to give an email address to get it ).

Now another thing than can help, either per channel or on the mix bus is the use of Mid/Sides EQ, basically you can set a low frequency cut point that you want to keep mono on the Mid EQ curve and on the Side one you can boost higher frequencies slightly, this can also help to widen the mix with retaining a certain amount of mono compatibility.

M/S Equing is quite tricky, you have to find the right balance between Mid & Sides and it can help to use a glue compressor after it too, but yea, things to play around with I think.

Here are the links to those free plugins and BTW if you haven’t checked it yet, latest Protocuture tutorial on EQ Vol.2 is a great learning resource, one to watch for sure.

EDIT : Forgot to mention another plugin that might give some “instant” result, this one is a payed one, but very affordable, it’s GROW by Mastering The Mix. They do great stuff too BTW. This one could help per track or on the overall mix bus also, you can demo it as well.

EQ Tutorial : Understanding EQ Level 2 with Protoculture | Tutorial 01 - Introduction

1 Like

Great advice again, thanks so much for taking the time to explain things and for the suggestions. I’ve started watching the EQ course and am very impressed by the depth he goes into things. I’ll definitely be picking up a few knowledge bombs along the way :smiley:

1 Like

No problem, happy if that could help :slight_smile:

Yep, all Protoculture’s tuts are quite in depth ones & Nate is a great tutor, the fact that he’s showing things on the fly and exactly like in a live situation in the studio is a good point too. You just need to make some room in your head as there’s a ton to learn watching his tuts :slight_smile:

Find the full list here : Protoculture Artist Profile - Watch video tutorials with Protoculture

Ok, cheers & have a nice weekend :slight_smile: