How To Make - 90s House in Ableton Live / 372

Sound in video 13 e 14 very poor

Best course track. I love 90s!

Super !! u need to be a teacher ! ;)

I love the track-also-enjoying all of sonic academies videos they're great-learning somuch

this is great as always. love your work Phil :slight_smile:

love the m1

Really liked this course. Great stuff for a beginning house producer like me. Next time I’ll write some melody I will def use the scale!

I love this tutorial, wish the vocals were available. Any more coming up?

this track sounds really great. looking for a tutorial like this for some time. glad i found it here!

Hi there! Great course, but the mix is not checked how translates to mono. I’m using Korg M1 and I know that many presets sound great in stereo but when switch to mono they just ruin the mix. Any tips how to make a wide sound compatible to mono? Thanks.

Hi there @StefanA

Honestly I think that full Mono compatibility is less relevant than in the past when most of the clubs PA were only mono, it was something that producers had to pay attention to when preparing their tracks for club, it’s less important now.

It’s enough to retain a certain amount of low frequency, especially for kick & bass, you can do that with a Utility tool inside Live, using Eq in Mid/Side can also help.

When it comes to the Korg M1 sounds & presets ( and many other soft-synths ), one thing to check is the effects & processing used directly inside the plugin. If you completely disable effects like reverb, chorus…etc inside the plugin, you’ll end up with a much more solid & mono compatible sound. The counterpart will be that it will also sound quite thin in the mix. One technique is then to send the synth channel output to a return channel & process it with your own effects, or simply copying the track and layering the unprocessed sound channel with a processed one with your own effects and then blending them together to taste.

Hi there! Thank you very much for your reply! I’m really happy that I finally found a website when you can get very useful information and courses about music production.

1 Like

Can this be done without a midi keyboard?

Hi there @Lewisd553

Yes, it’s always possible to enter Midi notes manually using your mouse in any DAW and with Ableton Live you also have the option to use your computer keyboard as a Midi keyboard input.

I know about drawing the notes in but was having trouble with using my laptop keyboard as a midi keyboard , do you need to map keys for the laptop keyboard to act as a midi keyboard to work with the M1 plug in?

Thanks

Just to play or record Midi notes or even chords, no you shouldn’t have to configure any mapping. Just make sure that the Computer Keyboard is activated ( keyboard icon highlighted in Live ) → you can simply press the “M” key on your keyboard to activate/deactivate the Computer Keyboard.

Then also make sure that the track is armed for record and that you have the Midi input either set to “All Ins” or “Computer Keyboard” and “All Channels”.

That should be all you need to care about for simple Midi notes playing/recording.

Thanks for the help managed to sort it now

1 Like

My finger snap sounds alot more quieter than your one, even with the volume up, any idea how to fix this ?

Hey there @Lewisd553

First reply that came to mind is : " snap harder maybe ? " :slight_smile::blush:

But more seriously, if you are recording those finger snaps in ( I haven’t watch this course, but I’m presuming you’re trying to record those finger snaps ), you have to check your Mic gain levels and also make sure that you don’t have any effects like a utility device onto the Ableton audio channel you’re recording.

If you can’t get enough volume after recording, you can either double click on the audio file and rise the volume of the audio clip or add a utility device on the audio channel, crank up it’s volume and freeze & flatten the track to generate a new audio clip.

Great course!