How To Make - 'Are We On Air' with 7 Skies / 249

Hey @XImpalerX

Sure ! If you browse through this topic via the forums you’ll see that some guys have reproduced this using Cubase for example. In general you’ll be able to follow all “How To Make” tutorials in your own DAW since they are aiming to show you how to build a track from start to finish and not focusing on a specific DAW & plugins only.

Of course you won’t get the exact same sound and you’ll have to adapt & use your own plugins in place of the Logic’s ones but it’s a very good way to learn too. Next to that you have the stems & the samples in the course resources for this one and that should help too.

This is a fantastic course! David is very knowledgable instructor who clearly explain everything. I took and awhile ago and still coming back to it. I made a track based on it Stream 7skies by Almur | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

Hey @almur

Thanks for sharing and the love for the course, appreciated :slight_smile:

I had a listen to the track & left a comment on your SndCld, great track BTW :slight_smile:

Cheers !

Thank you for listening! Glad you liked it! :slight_smile:

Very Good

What Key is this song in: I think it’s G major (or E minor) based on the notes but I have a hard time telling which. Any tips and tricks out there?

E minor is the relative minor of G major so they share all the same notes and are effectively interchangeable… no real need to define which it is but generall the next thing you would look at is what chord it starts on if you really had to define it.

Thanks @phil_johnston , good explanation. It was E (natural) minor scale. I worked it out from the Triarp riff from tutorial 11, which started on E (not G) … here are the chords for the E minor scale for those trying to jam their own stuff:
i – E minor, E minor seventh (Emin, Emin7)
iidim – F# diminished, F# minor seventh flat five (F#dim, F#m7b5)
III – G major, G major seventh (Gmaj, Gmaj7)
iv – A minor, A minor seventh (Amin, Amin7)
v – B minor, B minor seventh (Bmin, Bmin7)
VI – C major, C major seventh (Cmaj, Cmaj7)
VII – D major, D dominant seventh (Dmaj, D7)

I love this couse! He use lot of plugins and synths which I dont have, but I manage get almost same result with Logic own plugins!

1 Like

@romedor

Excellent way to learn IMO, adapting the tutorials to your own gears & tools is something that really helps to nail the production & techniques from the course.

I <3 7skies

Great Tutorial!

Is the samples etc. Royalty-free?

@Vivid_Vice

You have to agree to a User License Agreement prior to download any tutorial resources.

• Audio samples, drums & loops included are royalty free unless otherwise stated. So once you agreed to the disclaimer and downloaded the resources, check if there’s any EULA or specific License Agreement included in the download archive.

• Anything vocals & melodies, either in the resources or within the Project Files are fully copyrighted and cannot be used for any commercial release. Their use is only permitted for learning purpose & for you own personal use only.

Refer to this screen shot for the disclaimer content : ( be sure to click on the “Continue Discussion on the Forums” button at the bottom of the comments section in order to visualize the picture )

Hey did anyone actually get the kick working?

Hi there @Fullmetal123

What do you mean exactly ? Is it something technical about how to get the same kick or is the kick just not sounding right to you in your own Mix ?

Thx for reply. The preset for KICK doesn’t load in the VST. I’m using KICK 2 actually, so could be why. I recreated the Sub/Bass part of the kick following the lesson, but the right click is missing. Do you know how to get the preset working?

@Fullmetal123

Aah OK, got it now, thanks for clarifying this :wink: Yes you’re right, that Kick was done using Kick NR edition, so KICK 2 won’t load the preset unfortunately, presets aren’t compatible between versions. There’s a Kick 2 presets convertor included in Kick 2 download but it will only work if you have the previous version of Kick plugin installed on your computer as well as the preset, so that’s also not an option here.

Haven’t got the previous version of Kick myself and I’ve downloaded the resources files to check the project & the samples but this “7skies” click audio file is not included, so the only solution here is to redesign the Kick from scratch in Kick 2. Following the visual info you’ll have in the video, you’ll get quite close for the sub part of the kick and for the click sound, best you can do is to use one that’s sounds close. No other choice than making a new kick by ear inside Kick 2 unfortunately.

For S.A Team : @phil_johnston it would be nice to have an updated Kick 2 preset added to the course resources to avoid this issue IMO. Could you please do one and update the resources ?

This Tutorial is extremely good and teaches a lot of great techniques, but is desperately in need of refreshed resource files. Even if you own every one of the plugins used, unless you have older versions installed (some of which you can’t get), you won’t hear much.

This Logic Pro X file uses:

Native Instruments Kontakt 5 (Now updated to Kontakt 6)
Cable Guys Filter Shaper (Now updated to Filter Shaper 3)
Sonic Academy Kick - Nicky Romero Version (Now Kick 2 - and this is a BIG part of this tutorial obviously)
Sonic Academy A.N.A. (Now ANA 2)
Pleasurize Music Foundation TT Meter (Now TT Meter MkII)
Sugar Bytes Wow (Now WOW 2)
Camel Audio Camel Crusher (eh… not really available, but “Phat FX” in Logic is similar as the file will remind you when you open it in a new version of Logic Pro).

Now I realize its impossible to keep all of the tutorials updated working year to year, but who better to fix it than SA? I mean ostensibly you have the old and new versions and can just load the new version of the plugins (especially in the cases of Kick and ANA), and convert the patches over - easy peasy.

This tutorial is so good it warrants a little love put into it to shape it up. If it can’t be polished up, then maybe its time for it to come down :frowning: At the very least, based on the comments, update the Kick situation :stuck_out_tongue:

(continuation of my previous comment…)

I actually forgot a couple plugins… (only because I still have the old versions in this computer and they loaded okay).

FXPANSION Strobe (Now Strobe 2)
Reveal Spire (Now Spire 1.5)

Ultimately, if you watch the entire series, you can approximate the whole thing (and from a learning perspective, arguably, this may force one into some much deeper learning), but there is something to be said for the instant satisfaction of the track loading up and working - and again, at LEAST the kick drum (and since Sonic Academy created the ANA and Kick plugins, there isn’t really a good excuse why at least these don’t work on load).

Maybe a solution is to provide save the patches into the resources so at least those could be loaded into the new versions of the plugins that support legacy import.

-d