How To Make - Chilled House With Vince Watson / 272

oh, one thing i forgot here. the reason to use sharps instead of flats is in what note is being modified. the goal is always to have one of each letter. the note being modified, for instance, was A. Calling it Bb would mean you woudl have Bb, B...you typically want to avoid that.

Wow,thank you.It's very nice!

In fact, all the implication chords are minor 9ths. Useful site for working out chords: http://www.scales-chords.com/c...

The video blacks out in tutorial 7 at 24:19 to 27:39, just when Vince is demonstrating the step layering effect. Any chance of fixing that?

good spot - i am re-rendering this now - it should be available before tomorrow afternoon.

That's what track grouping is for, after all. Maybe Vince made his workflow at a time when grouped tracks didn't exist in Ableton.

Just finished the tutorial and have to say, in the words of the master, it's "absolutely fantastic". I smirked at first with the obsessive EQ-ing each track, and each group track (my crappy headphones still can't pick up all the differences), but the further you go in the build, the better everything fits together. The mid-boost on the master channel in the last 15 minutes of the tutorial alone is an amazing ear-opener.

With quality sounds (those Omnisphere strings!) and carefully dosed frequencies, he's like Jamie Oliver whipping up a meal with just a handful of ingredients.

In addition to the EQ-ing tips, the great chord progressions/layering and the handy multisample quick-scan in a drumrack, I have to praise Vince on his skill as an artist in putting the parts together to create a unity of sound. I've made my own variations of the clips, but ... mwaah ... they don't quite gel as they should.

Still, plenty of inspiration to keep me going. Thanks, Vince!

Are there any recommendation for additional infos regarding the implication chords? I would love to learn more on that stuff!

I rate these videos highly, and they're stacked with good insight. I learned a lot about how to get that mellow sound, and thought the tips on eq'ing the piano were especially helpful. I've just got to say a thing for anyone else who may be confused and looking for further information.

'Implication chords' don't exist. Implied harmony is a thing, but that is using a melody to imply an underlying harmony. Mr. Watson uses minor 9th chords with an open voicing in the bass. Moving the bass note around to change the chord is easy and common to do with lots of different chords. Play a C major in your right hand and with your left, play a low A. You've got an Amin7 with an open voice in the bass! Play a low F, and you have F9no3. When you have 4 notes on top, you can do even more, like in the video.

Anyone's free to call these things whatever they like, I'm not finger wagging. This is just for anyone hoping to get more info on that harmony.

it was available in his version - you can see it in the context menu Group tracks is there as an option when he selects... but oh well. Guess Vince likes taking the bus! :)

Agreed with the mid-boost! Makes such a difference.

Another great tutorial. Plenty here that can be put to good use.

I use group channels because I dislike the folded/unfolded UI of Live, and much prefer the analog mixer method of creating them that way. It's more for aesthetics than function. Ease of eye equals ease of mind. Use whatever you are most comfortable with.

I call them Implication Chords because it's what I find it helps beginners to understand these complexed tutorials better.

Another one

Cool

Hi I downloaded the resources but I can’t find the 128 hi hat files? Are they included in the resources?

Hey @Zotacat

Which video ( number & time ) are you referring to for that sound file reference name “128 Hi Hat” ??

There’s only a HIHAT 1 & HIHAT 2 tracks used in this mix when you 're loading the Ableton .als project and you will find a CLSD HAT 1.wav and OPEN HAT 1.wav files in both “Samples” & “Vince Watson - SA Tutorial 2 Project/Samples/Imported” folders, that should be everything you need to follow along this project. :slight_smile:

Hi. Thanks for your help :slight_smile: The video I am referring to is tutorial 3 at 38sec.

HI again @Zotacat ,

OK, got the picture now :slight_smile: In fact what’s happening in video Number 3 is that Vince is demonstrating how to create a drum rack with your own imported samples. The goal is to build a drum rack with up to 128 ( that’s the maximum number of samples allowed within Live ) select-able samples. It’s one technique that some people use in order to make handy custom racks that allow them to browse quickly between samples until they find one suitable for the current mix.

So in the end, it’s obvious that all those samples are not included in the course resources since they belong to the tutor and once again, the closed & open hats used in the track are available for you in the resources samples as mentioned before.

Hope that helps & clarify a bit this process :wink: