How To Make - Dark Room Techno with Kirk Degiorgio / 550

will i need to create music even the midi Keyboard ? or not?

thank you! great course

I am not an expert but is freezing tracks not much easier than exporting to audio in tut.5 ?

Hey @debontehond

That would likely depends of what you’re aiming to do with your track & it’s a question of workflow too.

• If you aim at just saving CPU & you plan to tweak your MIDI information or maybe add plugin automation, then you would like to FREEZE to be able to modify those later on.

• If you are sure to be done with the sound & the MIDI & plugin automation then you could bounce the track to audio and it will save some CPU as well of course, but the difference between the methods is either you’re done with the midi track or not.

In this particular case, Kirk is not “exporting” the track to audio ( that would mean to render an audio file from that track outside the DAW from Live’s export option, which you can do as well ) but here he’s recording the midi track output to a new audio track. This is the common workaround in Live since you don’t have a direct “Bounce to Audio” feature like in Logic ( i.e ), you can do it in Live but you need to FREEZE the track & then FLATTEN the track.

Recording or re-sampling the output to a new audio track can also be used in a creative way or as a workflow because you could add new audio effects on the target audio track and record in “pre” or “post” Fx mode to create a dry or wet version of your midi track for example. You can even imagine to send the Midi output to an Audio Track A ( with effects ) & then send the Audio Track A output to an Audio Track B to get your final processed sound, like you would do when sending audio to an external device and getting it back into your mixing console in the analog world.

Live is very flexible in I/O settings to achieve very creative & cascading routing that can be very useful.

Hope that helps !

Cheers !

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Great course!

Cool learn g by doing!!!
Big thx to Kirk!

I am stuck with reproducing the percussion in Maschine.

What I am trying to achieve is to use clips in Ableton to trigger Maschine and keep the ability to tweak parameters with automation. Exporting to audio will lose that ability.

So when a clip with Maschine is active I want Maschine to play and also stop when there is no active clip. It seems thats what Kirk is doing but I cannot reproduce it.

Hey @debontehond ,

Haven’t watch the tut & not sure what you’re trying to achieve ( you should refer to a video & a time laps for getting specific feedback ) but If you want to trigger Maschine with Ableton Live’s midi clips and get some controls with automation, you have to set up NI Maschine on an external instrument channel in Live. A regular Midi channel won’t allow that much freedom. With external instruments you could even setup multiple outputs channels for your Maschine groups but you have also to configure Maschine Outputs accordingly then.

If you group this/these external instruments channel/s you’ll be able to set up automation on the group channel in Live, you can also use Live’s flexible I/O routing to redirect the output of your Maschine External Instrument track to a new Audio track for recording to avoid audio export out of the Daw.

Again, not sure it’s matching what you’re after here but hope this could help :wink:

Cheers !

Hi Tekalight,

I am working with this Sonic State Tutorial. I got it to work yesterday by removing the notes from Maschine and putting them in Ableton in a Midi clip.
Thanks!

Ok then, glad you sorted out :wink:

thanks Kirk… great course… loved the sine beat sound and that raw and dirty feel to the track…

By the way, you can click on the + sign next to the automation to get a separate automation lane… In order to view many automations of the same track at once… Thought of mentioning since you talked about it in one of the videos… :wink:

Great tutorial thank you!

I have been following this course step by step and making the best with some of the plugins that I do not have but my track is sounding great and it wouldn’t be for this course and how Kirk Degiorgio explains everything. Thank you

1 Like

Great course, I learned a lot from the videos. Could someone please indicate an alternative for Windows users for numerologyVST? Thank you

Excellent tutorial

Incredibly strong tutorial! I’ve learned so much from it. Thank you for sharing this with us Kirk !

Hi! I don’t understand why my second sequencer doesn’t play when I did the same thing for the first sequencer. Do you know what I might have done wrong?

Made a great new track following this course and changing up the rhythms, melodies, and instrument choices. I used FabFilter Saturn for my kick sub distortion, although I A/B’d my results with a trial version of Ohmicide, as shown in the course; actually spent way too much time with Saturn to get something similar to the Ohmicide preset, but it was worth the effort I think. This was my first foray into tape mastering, I used the Kramer tape plugin from Waves and the results are so sweet; really looking forward to making a second master using the Studer A800, once I get myself into the UAD ecosystem. Thanks KDG for sharing your secrets *)

great course

Fantastic course! Thank you