How To Make - Detroit Techno with Vince Watson / 763

Nice one Michael, thanks

very cool and informative course

1 Like

Vince, great course! You are a very good teacher - even without your Sonarworks, lol
It’s terrific how you intro’d the genre. I live in Toronto, a mere 4 hrs drive from Detroit - and yet at age 46 I never knew Detroit Techno existed. How can that be? I’ve since delved into playlists on Spotify - and yes, I’m looking forward to listening to DnA and your other works!

Here’s my first take based on your tutorial - but certainly not the last!

https://soundcloud.com/marztecheque/2020vision

Thanks for doing a superb job highlighting this very cool retro genre that definitely seems classic and timeless.

You are a great teacher and I will now go back and spend more time too on your other Sonic Academy tutorials - keep them coming, Vince - and please send us pics of your new Garden Studio… lol

1 Like

One of the best courses on the academy. Being from Michigan, loves me some Detroit Techno!

3 Likes

A question: Why don’t you group the channels? Instead of routing everything to a normal channel?

I think I mentioned it, perhaps it was on a previous course. It’s basically for UI purposes and so I reflect an analog console as much as possible in terms of steps.

amazing course, Vince - again, props to you and I like youR DnA album - i listen to it here in Toronto on spotify cheers and happy holidays etc

What a beautiful course, I learned a lot, great song!!

Great!!!

One of the best dance tutorials I have seen. Very impressive!

Excellent sounds

Superb tutorial. Some great techniques for making complex parts gel really well together and a different way of approaching composition and arrangement . Love the track too!

Great tutorial but I’m unable to open the DX7 Plugins to go into the presets and edit them as the VST gives me an error saying I’m trying to open with a different version. I have V Collection 7 which includes the DX7 plugin.

@MdJ

You probably have a more recent version of the DX7 Arturia plugin installed, Arturia plugins are not compatible between collections version to my knowledge. After opening the project, you can replace any track that has the DX7 plugin with yours but then I believe you will loose the patch. Give it a try anyway.

Yes I think the issue is that I have a more recent version. Would it be possible to share a folder with the presets for the Arturia synths used in this to see if perhaps the presets themselves are cross-compatible by importing them manually in the synths as a pose to loading an entire project with the plugins?

I will have a look into the course’s resources file to check what version was used for this tutorial, I have Arturia collection from V5 to V7, so hopefully would have a version that fits.

I’ll let you know via PM ( private message here on the forums ) later on, got to be away this afternoon :wink:

Just PM you those presets now, check your messages on the forums :wink:

Just downloaded them now, appreciated!

1 Like

No worries, let me know if that works, you should be able to import them into Arturia DX7 hopefully :wink: