How To Make - Future House with Deep Matter / 566

Future House with Deep Matter

View Course

This week Sonic Academy proudly welcomes a brand new tutor, Scott Lowe, one-third of House maestros Deep Matter to bring us an awesome course in How To Make Future House.

With a dance floor filling groove laden with dope bass lines, sweet vocals and synth-heavy lead chords this track is a belter and in this course, Scott guides you through every step of the way of how it has been built from the ground up.

Starting with the initial setup on a blank canvas Scott crafts the groove before creating the synth chords using our new synth ANA 2. We then check out some vocal processing before adding bass lines, using fills and effects to add atmosphere and tension, before we move into the arrangement, mixing and mastering to complete the track.

Deep Matter have enjoyed success with Ministry Of Sound, Spinnin’, and Armada along with remixes for Alan Walker, EDX, Wideboys, Sneaker Sound System to name but a few so these guys know how to make a tune, and with effortless workflow and an easy-to-follow method of building a track this is definitely one worth checking out!

Enjoy!

trying to do it on fl studio having problems with the closed hat and snare :frowning:

hate to say it but i suggest you not doing this tutorial…samples are missing and worst part is that he does the arrangement off screen. I pretty much gave up at that point…video 12.

Hey @Pashsport what samples are missing. All samples from the course should be included in the resources. Please let me know and I will look into this.

Hey Chris! wow, such a huge fan of yours for more than 10 years! You DESTROYED the Big Sky remix. After I heard yours, I never really listened to the original lol. Definitely the song will have a place in my heart!

I’m using Ableton and the samples I couldn’t find were:
UD2 House Open Hat 18
UD2 House Clsd Hat 22
FB_140_Cmin_Vocal Chop 6

I really wish he didn’t do the arrangment off screen. I think I’m just going to skip doing the arrangement and work on his next video with the mixdown. I just saw the new Jerome video!! Can’t wait to do that one next.

Have a great weekend!
Pasha

Great tutorial, I found it really helpful. Thanks!

Hey @Pashsport All the samples used will be contained in the stems provide, they may not be called the individual sample names, but something like CLOSED_1.aiff for instance. As for the arrangement off screen, I think Scott thought it was better to do it off screen to save time and help keep the momentum of the course going. Will look at this in the future.

If you still require the above samples I can send them to you.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hey Chris,

No need for the samples. After some digging, I found my own samples =). I did notice that I did find the samples in the stem files. The shame with that is that the sample is already processed. Like the vocal chop that was pitched and then effected. What would be awesome is that no matter what DAW was used, there would be a folder simply called Samples. Sometimes you have to search through the folders to find the samples, like in the consolidated or freeze folders. I know like must upcoming producers the arrangement is the hardest part. Just being able to the arrange the building block takes skills. It would be nice to see their process of developing that, even if its super simple! I’d rather work with a simple arrangment then trying to recrate it myself. I tried to do that in this tuturial, however he never fully zooms out. He goes section to section, it was really hard to recreate. But now that I am thinking about it, I could of used the stems as a guide. I guess just knowing his process and way of thinking is the most important part. =)

Take care!

my first comment

When adding swing to drum elements, its easier to select the audio elements in the event list and then apply 16D swing. Cracking course btw!

Another thing I have picked up today is the tune is in Cm not F or (Fm) as stated

Same a everyone in the comments, I too enjoyed this tutorial a lot… very straightforwards… great job… I also agree that the arrangement shouldn’t have been done off screen… I get that there might be time constraints etc but arranging a track is such an important part of the production process that every tip and trick I can watch and learn from definitely helps… All that said, this tutorial is one of the really good ones on this sonic academy site…
Much appreciated.

When you have an audio region that doesn’t start on the beat, you don’t need to split it, just open it in the audio editor, and move the anchor to the part of the waveform you want on the beat. Logic will then snap the region to that anchor point. This is exactly the scenario that anchors are for.

To set up your FX Auxes, just set the Send on any track to an unused Bus, and Logic will set up all the Aux and Bus routing for you, you don’t need to do it manually.

Course fine!

Pretty good!

Thanks Mate good to watch :slight_smile:

some of the samples are missing from the resources

Hi there @elco1982

Check back previous posts ( and Chris Post N° 07 ) on the forums, it explains about the missing samples, they just might be named differently than inside the tutorial’s videos. Resources will be different from course to course, it all depends of what the tutors & S.A included in the .zip archive. If the tutors didn’t include or save the Raw samples they used then there’s nothing much S.A can do about it.

Inside the .zip archive there’s a “HTM Future House Stems” folder, those are full length audio stems for the Project that you should be able to open in any DAW. If using Logic on a Mac, you can also open the “HTM Future House Project Files” folder, there’s a Logic Project file “HTM Future House.logicx” inside, right click on it & select “Show Package Contents” and go to the “Media” folder, you will also find audio files in there.

But yeah, I recon that for this course the resources seem to be the processed audio files inside Logic only, so you won’t find the original RAW samples. It shouldn’t stop you to follow along though, if it’s to recreate the full process on basic samples like drums sounds, best option is to use a similar sample from your own.

Great course!

I don’t find the sounds in the download pack…