How To Make - Kubrick with Jerome Isma-Ae / 545

Kubrick with Jerome Isma-Ae

View Course

Sonic Academy proudly welcomes a brand new tutor this week, Munich born DJ, producer and label owner Jerome Isma-Ae. Combining influences of trance and techno that create unique and distinguished progressive sounds, Jerome is one of the highest-selling and most sought after progressive house acts on the scene today. Merging his skills with those of his collaborator Alastor, whose interest in sound design started when his father gave him a second-hand Casio synth from a consignment shop in Brooklyn back in 1991, the two of them create highly acclaimed and unique sounding tracks.

In How To Make Kubrick we get to see this awesome track built from the ground up in Logic Pro. With a no nonsense approach, we start with the kick, bass and drums before moving on to create the atmosphere with bass stabs, chords and effects. We then check out the arrangement with clever use of eq automation and move over to Alastor in Cubase for the cinematic strings before heading back into Logic for some further arrangement editing, finishing off with some mastering and final tweaks to iron out any issues.

The end result is a genre-dissecting sound with a pulsating, rhythmic and heartbeat syncing bassline; dark, brooding drum programming and a transcendental future-retro, '80s cinematic string crescendo that is as melodramatic as the film work that inspired this track.

Much like the films by the director with the same name, this one’s not to be missed!

And it doesn’t stop there!

Also with this course, we are running another fantastic remix competition! - The How To Make Kubrick Remix Contest is exclusive, here on Sonic Academy and you could be in with a chance of winning some cool prizes and ultimately getting a release on Jerome’s very own label Jee Productions which focuses on releasing cutting edge music and considered one of top Progressive House labels by beatport.

After the recent success of our other remix competitions, we’re proud to have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is truly amazing.
So, ourselves and Jerome are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this awesome tune and start working your magic!

We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, make a dope remix of this track and show the world your production talent.

Just click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button above to find out more! This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users.

Contest ends - 2017-09-22 06:00:00 UTC

So buzzing you guys got Jerome! Can’t wait to start this!

1 Like

You guys got Jerome?!! , Damn !!

1 Like

Amazing piece of music!

1 Like

Amazing song !! Love all the FX!

1 Like

Finalyyyyyyyyyy…much love to sonic academy and especially Jerome Isma-ae for a lovely tutorial. Thank you for sharing, you are Da’ Maaaaaan’.

1 Like

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Thanks for offering this tutorial, look forward to going through it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yessss, Jerome is a long long long time favorite artist of mine. Like one of the people who got me into doing music production. So stoked to see you guys bring him & Alastor in for a course and remix contest!!! This is going to be good :sunglasses:

I know this is a repeat of some things others have said, but I have to echo that Jerome is one of my favorite producers in the game today. I am always impressed with the quality of his productions. Thanks to Jerome and Alastor for putting this track on SA and taking the time to produce this tutorial!

1 Like

Hi SA and Jerome, I was wondering if you could give a little more details about how you made the Hats with decay automation. thanks

Use a long hi hat sample, like a long open 909 hi hat, put it into a sampler, then automate the release time from medium to long back to medium over the course of a couple measures, building progressively longer and longer overall during the course of 32 measures until its totally open in the last 6 or so. Render that down to audio, then repeat that audio loop for as long as you need.

Wow this is by far the best tutorial I have seen on producing music. The most demonstrative/ intuitive tutorial you will find. Straight to the point and explains everything perfectly. I’m beyond impressed by the results I have accomplished since taking two nights to sit down and fully craft my own track while watching this. Thank you Jerome and thank you sonic academy!!!

1 Like

Thank you for joining the tutorial :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! We are very happy to hear that our tutorial helps to improve your productions.

1 Like

Perfectly described!

2 Likes

Travis already described it pretty much on the point. I used a hardware analog drum machine for the hithat, though. The Tanzbär has a knob for the decay of the hihat, which makes modulation very easy. You just record the audio of the hardware and move the knob.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Happy to hear that you like our tutorial.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for joining our tutorial :slight_smile:

1 Like