How To Make - Melodic Techno with Christian Vance / 559

Nice

1 Like

that is really nice

1 Like

really useful transferable ideas and skills, cheers!!

1 Like

Definitely will check this one…nice!

1 Like

Hi Christian! I absolutely love your tutorial. Great stuff so far. Especially the bit where you calculate the time for the length of the kick drum. So helpful. I have a question regarding your bass part. I was wondering how you got the second note in your custom bass preset to sound like something is happening with the pitch. It sounds like the note is falling into the next bar when it loops. I was wondering how you did that? With a pitch envelope? Just curious. That little extra bit made a world of difference. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi @nikimcnally … thanks for the kind words! Great to hear you’re enjoying the techniques. In response to the bass… good question! I loaded up the project (was still in Ableton 9 with ANA original version) and it is definitely the amount of filter envelope for OSC 1 / Filter 1. I checked with both my ears and a tuner and there is a definite pitch slide as one decreases the Filter 1 envelope below zero. At the time of making the track I would have definitely enjoyed that small movement it created and therefore the sound is in the tutorial precisely the way it is. The mod1 for the velocity/cutoff just makes for the perfect little pitch dip/swing. The devil is in the detail. While this definitely does create what you’ve detected, let’s just call it a kind of blue note and a happy little accident. There was no conscious altering of the pitch envelope. In ANA 2 the mod matrix is more developed and there are some really sweet ways to control these sorts of things. In the meantime if you would like to brush up (as I just did) on the old ANA, here is the manual. I could not find any evidence exactly how pitch envelope may have been modulated with the settings on this preset. If you can isolate it then kudos and 100 extra bonus points!

you can find the manual here: ANA Manual - Google Docs

Happy music making and great to read that you are listening to the small things :grinning:

Really awesome course! One thing that I missed is the process of how you created the final melody from the raw, unpolished notes/ideas, but I guess that’s where the magic happens. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ottucsak … thanks again for the kind words! Glad you’re digging it… and in regards to the process for the final melody? You’ve got the tools now… this is your time to shine and make your own spicy batch of hot sauce. Take what you like, what you really dig, take the time to work on it, edit it, adjust it, cook it all up and let the magic happen :grinning:

really helpful, and cool techniques

1 Like

Nice production tricks and very helpful…Good job!

1 Like

Found this very useful. Love this way of working, definitely some nice ideas to merge with current skills. Sweet!

1 Like

what’s the value of those courses if on top of my Ableton and this site’s subscription I have to purchase a shit ton of plugins?!

Hi there @lapuafox

IMO that’s not the way you have to see things in that regard. All the courses on S.A ( and particularly the “How To Make” ones, aim at showing you how tutors create their tracks, design their sounds, put the arrangement together, mix/master…etc.

So it’s more about learning about the techniques, workflow & tricks that are shown in those tutorials.
While every & each tutors would have their own preferences when it comes to plugins & DAW, you can always adapt the lessons and use either stock plugins or find alternative free ones.

Getting to see how a track was made from scratch from established producers as if you were sitting in the studio with them is the real benefit of S.A tutorials, and adapting that to your own gears & tools is a very effective way to learn IMHO :wink:

not really.
I am paying my subscription in order to watch a course on Ableton for beginners, ‘How To’ to make something as a follow-along, a beginner like me is not able to find another route or a different approach as we have no idea how to do the basics which makes me question the benefits of such a subscription (canceled already).

for you it might be useful but for me it is not an Academy it is supposed to be but a subproduct, a promo tool to push the VST down the marketing channel while pretending to be a school.

I have made a mistake, it is not about money but more about giving a value for a price which they definitely don’t deliver

@lapuafox

Well, that’s your opinion and I can not change it but the advantage of the subscription is to learn at your own pace and in many different areas and at different levels. There’s plenty of beginners courses on Ableton’s Live to start with, just dealing with the DAW itself & it’s stock plugins.

We all have been there once, don’t forget :wink: It’s quite confusing to know what to learn and where to grab the knowledge that you really need when you start, and again, that’s why I think that S.A is a real academy in the opposite, because of the diversity of the tutorials & their levels. And just about pricing & value, check other subscriptions or pricing for individual tutorials by other sites and IMHO, S.A is one of the most competitive !

You have to take advantage of the search features on the tutorial page, when starting it’s really important not to overwhelm yourself with too much advanced techniques.

It’s a long and never ending learning curve when it comes to music production, it really is and we all know how frustrating & cumbersome it can be. Give you time, learn your DAW & the “inside the box” method before watching more complex courses involving higher end plugins & tools.

Just as an example here are some courses to learn more about Live when starting, and the last one is a very recent one showing you a full “Filtered House” genre track only using Live 10 inside the box ( except for ANA 2 & KICK 2 ) :smile:

But OK, not trying to convince you to keep your subscription active here, I’m just moderating & trying to help users, and the folks at S.A won’t blame you either, they are cool guys !

Hope that could help & have a nice weekend :wink:

Cheers !

1 Like

I never really see here people talking about what makes a specific genre… well, let’s say it is very rare. It would be nice to have that.

@orangeside

Could be something interesting yes, I think it’s also valuable to have some “Electronic Music Culture” next to learn how to produce. Some tutors provide good & interesting insights in their courses but it can’t be exhaustive enough for sure ( no time for that in a full “How To Make” course ).

Now the problem with that is the many sub-genres that have totally gone crazy ( in terms of number of them ) so that should be something sticking to roots & main genres only, therefore not pleasing everyone maybe.

Might be something to ask & post in the Tutorial Requests category, S.A staff could then see if it’s creating interest.

So please feel free to create a new topic in the above mentioned category, lately the posts here went a bit out off topic from this thread which is dedicated to Christian Vance Melodic Techno Tutorial, so it would be good to keep it that way IMO.

Thank you guys :wink:

1 Like

Great work!

1 Like

This producer has a really cool workflow! song sounds great

1 Like

Very helpful, a lot of eye opening new things!

1 Like