How To Make - Minimal Tech House with P-LASK / 1441

Really nice track this P-Lask top production as always :sunglasses::ok_hand:

1 Like

Still got the last couple of clips to watch, but found this really insightful problem is I only have Standard not suite which is a bummer because I like the look of Wavetable. Great track by an even greater tutor always get excited when I see that P-Lask has made new content. I often refer back to his Push2 tuts "“Thumbs up”

1 Like

Great tutorial as always from P-LASK

1 Like

Once I have purchased your product that I am proud to use I will watch this course. I am very interested has kick2. Like any audio plugin, this course deserves 5 stars because it was done with care and useful for those who do not know how to use the plugin yet. I would say that I recommend anyone to view the tutorials after purchasing the product because they give all the help you need to become an expert on this plugin and so you will always improve when you make music. I recommend buying this plugin because it is part of the essential plugins for producing music and should not be missing in production.

Learning heaps. this is my first course with P-lask… I’ll be looking up his others for sure

1 Like

Great tutorial, very detail explained. Loved his workflow on the arrangement and sound design. It would be very interesting seeing him in a tutorial using Bitwig Studio.

1 Like

Excellent mix and mastering section - recommended

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: My own track following the HTM Minimal Tech House with P-Lask Tutorial

Great course! It took me a while to find a great minimal house tutorial, especially with the explanation of mixing & mastering for this style.

Thanks P-LASK!

2 Likes

This was an excellent course. P-LASK is very precise with his wording; he clearly understands the technical aspects of the production process (but he doesn’t overwhelm you with technical jargon, I’m just saying that I’ve watched tutorials where the instructor makes some basic terminology mistakes – you won’t find those mistakes here).

This track’s style is exactly what I hope to produce, so the drum programming, sound design, and arrangement was of particular interest to me. But I also got a lot out of the mixing/mastering portion.

2 Likes

Great course. This is the most informative and well communicated tutorial I have seen. Exactly what I needed as I love Minimal Tech House. Thank you gentleman.

1 Like

Once again you have inspired me to push harder with my music P-Lask, well done pal

Regards, Tony

1 Like

Great course as usual !
I have two questions, why dont you warp the vocal samples and how do you set the gain staging up to have some tracks at 0 db and not clipping the master track ?

1 Like

@Paul_L Just watched episode 7. What you use LFO2 for. You use default settings LFO1 to modulate filter, even when you edit LFO2?

Hey @MikkoM, I just checked this out for you. I was wondering why that didn’t seem as if it was moving like it should have been. Looks like I made a mistake! I set up LFO2, but I accidentally applied the modulation amount from LFO1 to the Filter 1 Frequency in the Mod Matrix! If you’re following along, you can copy all of my settings from LFO2, but apply the modulation from LFO2 (and NOT LFO1) to modulate the Filter Frequency. Hope that all makes sense, and apologies for the confusion that might have caused!

1 Like

Good questions @Deep2House. For this track, since the vocal samples were just spoken, I didn’t feel the need to warp all of them, as exact timing didn’t really matter too much to me. Regarding the gain staging, a little hack I like to use is to put a Utility effect on the Master track (as the only effect - no other mastering FX). I’ll turn the Gain on the Utility down by at least -6 dB. This is sitting on the master track in my default template, so I don’t have to worry about turning ALL of my volume faders down, or constantly turning things down every time I add a new element to the track. This has the same effect as turning all volume faders down, as we are attenuating the volume in the digital space, PRE Master Output fader. So it is preventing clipping or any reduction of the bit depth before converting the audio to analog (listening on monitors, etc.), or rendering the audio out.

1 Like

Hi @Paul_L . I learned so much in your videos. I really like the way you use the GM for arranging your samples in your racks, I had never noticed that feature before. I have a questions that’s been on my mind for quite some time now and maybe you can help me answer this. How do you go about choosing samples for your racks? Do you go based off of a reference track, are there samples that are genre specific, do you aim for samples that occupy different areas of the frequency spectrum, or is it just whatever resonates with you?

1 Like

Thanks for your question. This is a good one. To be honest, I mostly go off of feel, but it took a while to develop that skill/ear. Another thing I sometimes do is create drum rack kit presets based on genre-specific sample packs. So, for example, I might open up a Loopmasters Tech House pack, then build a drum rack that contains the first kick from the “kicks” folder, the first rimshot from the “perc” folder, the first snare from the “snares” folder, etc. Once I save the drum rack, I won’t save the samples into my user library/project (you can disable this in preferences>library>collect files on export and switch it to “ask” or “never”) this prevents Live from copy/pasting those samples into your project or importing them to your user library. I will keep the samples in their respective pack folders on my hard drive. The nice thing about this is that I can load up the “tech house kit” drum rack preset I created, then if I want to swap the kick out for example, I can click the hotswap button, and it will take me DIRECTLY to that sample folder full of “tech house” specific kicks. Hope that makes sense, but if not, perhaps I can make a TikTok or IG Reel video going over that in more detail (@plaskmusic on TikTok and IG)!

1 Like

Yes, that does make sense, I like that idea. That is assuming the person who is creating the pack knows their stuff. I’ll have to give loopmasters a look. Thanks for the response and for sharing your social media link.

1 Like

soaked up so much with this video …ty

1 Like