How To Make - Progressive House with Echo Sound Works / 225

i clicked on this thinking it was british progressive house… but its the american dribble

Absolutely fantastic tutorial. I am a complete beginner (about 2-months exp. with production), so it took me about 30 hours to get though this tutorial, but MAN did I learn a ton! Echo Sounds is one of the best teachers out there. He explains things in a clear, concise manner, and even throws in a few jokes! Only discouraging piece of this tutorial is the large amounts of third part plugins make recreating sounds somewhat difficult. But I guess that adds to the learning expeirence and helps train your ear? Thanks Sonic Academy and Echo Sounds for your amazing tutorial!
-Clark

I really like that you are using these arrangement markers and also with clear titles like “build to drop”, etc. I am still struggling with arrangement, but these video’s learned me a lot about it already. I would even like it more if there could come a full tutorial series about arrangement in general and song structure.

is it better to print final mixes and how do i get that saturated squishy sound on the master buss

we have other more simple courses that try to use internal plugins, but inevitably as things progress you may require a few more bits of 3rd party gear to achieve the sound you are looking for
:thumbsup:

saturated squishy sound ? sounds like you are perhaps talking about multiband compression

Probably the best tutorial I have done on Sonic Academy. I love your logic of starting with the drop and then reverse engineering your way back to it - brilliant! I love that workflow. I also now realize how important it is to find the right sounds. and I am facinated by how you made the guitar sound in Serum. Could you do a tutorial on that? I also LOVE your “you already made it post” on Echo Sound Works. It really spoke to me, and it has inspired me to pursue my passion and art! THANK YOU!

About half way through this and this guy knows how to do a tutorial. Goes into details a lot just don’t bother doing. Best i’ve watched so far on here…easy to listen to and follow.

Amazing

Dude thanks for the awesome tutorial. This is by far the best tutorial I have had in sonic academy.

This tutorial is awesome! Very good and clear explained, easy to understand what he’s doing. Thank you very much for the great job you have done.

love this

I hate when he use all the expensive and fancy plugins doing trix.

I Love ESW for years

As a tutorial I believe showing us how to use stock plugins instead of 100 other plugins you need to pay for would be better. Other then that I enjoyed the series.

One of the First Course that i watched ,although i never got the chance to complete it but . have to say , this is purely a gold mine for a producer ,especially for the ones who have just started with the Edm.

Echo,

I never saw you low cut your mid-basses. Does that mean you let them have information in the sub-bass region as well? I always thought I was supposed to low cut everything except the kick and the sub-bass to keep from muddying up the mix.

Hi there @mgarrettblack

IMO, there’s nothing written in stone as for those kind of rules, it’s a common practice to use a Low Cut filter on bass & even Kicks if you need to attenuate unwanted sub-frequencies. For example, some heavy 808 & 909 type of sounds can have a lot of sub-freq content and you might want to reduce those to avoid too much “boominess” in the mix.

Next to Low Cutting unwanted frequencies, keeping your Kick & Bass in Mono ( either 100% or by setting a frequency point : i.e everything in mono under 80 Khz ) is also a good way to help your Kick & Bass to sit well in the mix. But it all depends on the source material and the relation between Kick, Bass & any Sub, those have to play well together and that’s where filtering helps.

Great song and helpful course thank you

This may be my favorite SA tutorial so far. I particularly liked how you explained not only what you were doing but why. In particular, then explanation on the arrangement (an area where I struggle) was invaluable.