How To Make - Progressive Psy Trance With James Dymond / 218

Thank you

1 Like

First of all awesome course, really, really good info! so thank you very much for that! I’m just a little confused about something… You know in the “More FX” video on this course, when delay is applied to the right side of the sound with the stereo shaper? is this also the HAAS effect? and if so, can it be problematic to use in a mix? because I’ve read lots of people saying it sounds amazing and lots of people it can ruin your mix, as it doesn’t collapse to mono very well? Can anyone shed any light on this…? thanks!

@Rowan_Carter

Yes, it’s the same principle as the “Haas” effect, except that most of the time you would use the “Haas” effect to enhance a mono source, that’s the initial purpose of it. Now, is it good or bad & can it ruin your Mix ? Well, if you use it slightly and with proper delay timing and pay attention to your levels, it can’t ruin your Mix. Since you’re are duplicating the audio source and spread it through stereo the first result is a level boost, so you have to Mix it wisely and pay attention to your levels and it can then sit very well in a mix.

1 Like

Hey Tekalight! Ahhh I see! Cool man thank you for clearing that up, I thought that I was seeing the haas effect. Read alot of people calling it out as quick way to ruin your mixing without knowing. Avoided this technique for those reasons but obvs all take all in moderation! Deffs be giving this a try! Thanks for your response! Appreciate that dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Mate,

im kinda lost on the course. I was looking for a beginners course but couldent figure out just by the first video, how detailed you would be explaining. I cannot follow up cause my interface is different and i didnt expect to buy plug ins as well :(. Could you tell me which course i need to watch for a rookie to start psytrance in fl studio with the current version? Im a student so every dollar counts. Would be great to hear from you, i am getting really discourraged honestly.

Hey there @Gaddsch

You shouldn’t let yourself getting discouraged because a course looks to complex for you at first watch or because you see the tutor using a lot of high end plugins. There’s a learning curve for any one, with some frustration along the way, it just take some time to grab the all picture, nothing wrong with this, don’t worry.

It starts with your DAW and what’s included in the box, learn your native plugins & tools that comes with it, next to that there’s a tone of free plugins that are really good and can be an alternative to 3rd party high end & expansive ones.

When watching “How to make” tutorials on S.A, try to grab the full picture as well as what techniques & effects were used to achieve the sound & the production. Identify & take notes of terms or techniques that aren’t familiar to you and learn about them later. It’s not about being able to replicate the exact same sound. For example, while you could copy/paste the exact same values shown on a screen inside the most expansive or best compressor plugin ever, it doesn’t mean that you’ll get a better understanding about how this compressor works or how to use compression in general. So things like EQ & Compression, effects, mixing & arrangement have to be seen like different pieces of the puzzle that you will learn with time. Again, Music Production can get quite frustrating, especially at the beginning but if you keep learning at your own pace & manage to keep the fun while doing it, then the journey will be much more pleasant. Many established producers will laugh or feel ashamed when listening to their first tracks, so don’t blame yourself or get discouraged when your not happy with the results you have, there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s part of the process.

If FL studio is your DAW of choice, here’s the page where to find FL related courses on Sonic Academy. On the left side of the tutorial page you can also browse courses by “Genre” or “Course Type” and on the right top page you have the “Magnifier” button to search courses with key words. Better than spending money on gears & plugins right now, give a try to a subscription perhaps, if you’re seriously willing to learn about Music Production, there’s a ton of resources on S.A website and again, don’t get discouraged, just give it some time & put love & work into it, if you really love it, no worries, it will be rewarding at some point.

Hope that helps, here’s the link for FL studio courses

Cheers !

Make sure you have the plugins! You can learn stuff even as a beginner. I knew this was for an intermediate user, but you can always google the stuff you don’t know.

Excellent course, I’ve learnt a lot from this so far, looking forward to completing the tune!

Excellent content, thank you!

1 Like

This might not be the newest course (and oh boy did FL Studio look different back then) but it covers everything from start to finish, the very basics as well as nice technics and finishing the whole track.
Would love to see another Psytrance course from James with FL Studio.

1 Like

Gostei!