How To Make - Progressive Trance 2019 with Protoculture / 883

Hi there @jrokov

Yep, I have the same issue here, it looks to me that Live 10 can’t import those audio files correctly, could be a bug or lack of feature, not sure.

The original audio stems are 44100 / 32bit .wav files, when importing them in Live 10, playback will be broken, the wave form is completely wrong and the output level is fully saturated.

Converting those files to 44100 / 24bit .wav files and the import & playback worked as expected.

Changing File Type & Bit Depth in Live 10 settings doesn’t help, still not working with original 32bit files.
Not happening in Logic Pro, so definitely something to do with Live 10 (tested in 10.1.5 as well as latest Beta ).

So you’ll need to convert those audio stems to 24bit audio files.

Original 32bit import result :

Converted 24bit import result :

Live Settings :

@Protoculture @Sonic_Academy Might be worth to include a 24bit version of the stems into the tutorial resources to avoid this issue.

Thanks. Legend!

Yo, I’m unaware of Ableton having issues with 32bit files but its quite possible. 24bit are usually fine but I;m in the habit of doing 32 as it affords you more headroom usually when mastering. I’m about to hit the road after the christmas holidays but I’ll see if I can’t get a set of 24bit files uploaded instead soon as I have a chance.

@Protoculture @jrokov

Hey there guys,

Did some more testings with Live 10.1.6 as well as the latest Beta on both MacOS 10.13.6 & Win 10 Pro 1909, taking a random 24bit/44100Hz preset from a pack, converting it to 32bit/41100Hz and the result was the same under each version of Live as well as under both OS.

So nothing to do with your files or the way they’ve been rendered out of Cubase, definitely something wrong with Ableton Live 10 with 32bit audio files import. I will put a ticket by them.

Great course. Very helpful.

I found difficult to follow the course as I often don’t understand where the instructor is heading on. The structure of the song is not very clear. A lot of plugins are also used, most of them I can’t afford to buy.

I try to keep these courses as close to my actual production process as possible. Sometimes I do jump around but that’s how I actually do things in the studio from time to time. As for the amount of plugins, unfortunately its the same thing… it wouldn’t be reflective of how I make my music without using the tools I normally do. That said, I use a lot of Plugin Alliance plugins… they have a great subscription model which will get you everything in their catalog.

Thanks Nate for an amazing insight into your production process. I learnt alot! Looking forward to your next courses.

1 Like

is there any way to create the bass not using falcon?how?

Hey there @BorjusG

You can get similar results using a sine in the Sub OSC from Kick 2, here is my attempt to recreate a similar sound & some midi clip playing a C0 16notes/15% groove generated in Ableton’s Live. Again, similar sub-bass sound, didn’t spent too much time getting the exact same result but you can design it with Kick 2.

Basically you use a Sine in the SUB Osc and tune it to C4 and then play with the nodes in the pitch section & tweak the amp section decay and adjust the length, then use the EQ & distortion to give it more grit.

Kick2_Proto_Sub-Bas.preset (5.3 KB)

Proto_Sub-Bas.mid (175 Bytes)

Thanks Nate!

That was a really fun course to follow and learn from.

Cheers for using Falcon! I just got it for Christmas :slight_smile:

Love Protoculture’s courses - looking forward to the next one. So many new techniques and tips to learn. First time I’ve used granular synthesis to create drones, although I used Cumulus for this. My take on this track - Progressive Trance 2019 - YouTube

Ah what a shame it’s missing his process for creating chord progressions and melodies #sadface
Great course otherwise!

Great course. I learned a lot!

I don’t have much of a ‘process’ per se. I’ve seen a lot of guys doing tutorials where they sort of over analyze everything as far as chord structure is concerned, but I really just sit down and play stuff till it sounds good. I’m fortunately blessed to be able to play a lot of stuff live on the keyboard and just hit record. I find it hard to explain why I go for certain chords… it’s more just feeling and intuition more than anything else.

Cool swing tip on the free Kick Video! Thanks!

Hey Protoculture, any progress on re-uploading a version of the project file with 24-bit audio files? Or any advice from anyone here about good free software to use to convert 32-bit audio files to 24-bit? Thanks!

Audacity should be able to do this.

1 Like

@Toryn @phil_johnston

Yep, good point with Audacity as a free software to achieve this.

BTW, I did put a ticket with Ableton Support about this & they came back to me telling that this has been escalated to their development team among other similar requests but no confirmation of a future fix until now.

They also asked me to test the following : trying to convert those 32bit files to 32bit Floating Point and import them into Live again. I had a failure with “Fission” under MacOS but it did work with “iZotope RX7 Audio Editor” and I think that Audacity should be able to do the same conversion according to the Import/Export features from their site, you can also give this a try @Toryn and if that’s working then you have a chance to retain the 32bit files format inside Live.

Thanks Nate. Great course and lots for me to work on.