How To Make - Progressive Trance 2019 with Protoculture / 883

Great course. Very helpful.

I found difficult to follow the course as I often don’t understand where the instructor is heading on. The structure of the song is not very clear. A lot of plugins are also used, most of them I can’t afford to buy.

I try to keep these courses as close to my actual production process as possible. Sometimes I do jump around but that’s how I actually do things in the studio from time to time. As for the amount of plugins, unfortunately its the same thing… it wouldn’t be reflective of how I make my music without using the tools I normally do. That said, I use a lot of Plugin Alliance plugins… they have a great subscription model which will get you everything in their catalog.

Thanks Nate for an amazing insight into your production process. I learnt alot! Looking forward to your next courses.

1 Like

is there any way to create the bass not using falcon?how?

Hey there @BorjusG

You can get similar results using a sine in the Sub OSC from Kick 2, here is my attempt to recreate a similar sound & some midi clip playing a C0 16notes/15% groove generated in Ableton’s Live. Again, similar sub-bass sound, didn’t spent too much time getting the exact same result but you can design it with Kick 2.

Basically you use a Sine in the SUB Osc and tune it to C4 and then play with the nodes in the pitch section & tweak the amp section decay and adjust the length, then use the EQ & distortion to give it more grit.

Kick2_Proto_Sub-Bas.preset (5.3 KB)

Proto_Sub-Bas.mid (175 Bytes)

Thanks Nate!

That was a really fun course to follow and learn from.

Cheers for using Falcon! I just got it for Christmas :slight_smile:

Love Protoculture’s courses - looking forward to the next one. So many new techniques and tips to learn. First time I’ve used granular synthesis to create drones, although I used Cumulus for this. My take on this track - Progressive Trance 2019 - YouTube

Ah what a shame it’s missing his process for creating chord progressions and melodies #sadface
Great course otherwise!

Great course. I learned a lot!

I don’t have much of a ‘process’ per se. I’ve seen a lot of guys doing tutorials where they sort of over analyze everything as far as chord structure is concerned, but I really just sit down and play stuff till it sounds good. I’m fortunately blessed to be able to play a lot of stuff live on the keyboard and just hit record. I find it hard to explain why I go for certain chords… it’s more just feeling and intuition more than anything else.

Cool swing tip on the free Kick Video! Thanks!

Hey Protoculture, any progress on re-uploading a version of the project file with 24-bit audio files? Or any advice from anyone here about good free software to use to convert 32-bit audio files to 24-bit? Thanks!

Audacity should be able to do this.

1 Like

@Toryn @phil_johnston

Yep, good point with Audacity as a free software to achieve this.

BTW, I did put a ticket with Ableton Support about this & they came back to me telling that this has been escalated to their development team among other similar requests but no confirmation of a future fix until now.

They also asked me to test the following : trying to convert those 32bit files to 32bit Floating Point and import them into Live again. I had a failure with “Fission” under MacOS but it did work with “iZotope RX7 Audio Editor” and I think that Audacity should be able to do the same conversion according to the Import/Export features from their site, you can also give this a try @Toryn and if that’s working then you have a chance to retain the 32bit files format inside Live.

Thanks Nate. Great course and lots for me to work on.

Great insights as always :slight_smile:

Hi there, What is the Swing Percentage (15%) that protoculture is kept putting his Audio’s at and midi too I believe. is it for rhythm? any links so i can understand this better in my DAW ( I use Logic pro x) Thank you !

Yep, swing is usually used to add variation to your beats. Basically what’s happening is that the midi or audio affected by a certain amount of “swing” will be slightly moved from their original position. That will result in a more “human” playback timing, giving your beat ( or other instruments ) a different groove.

For Midi you can just select the regions or notes you want to affect and use the “Swing” amount value paired with the Q-Strenght ( Quantization Strenght ) value, it’s set to max 100 by default.

For applying swing to Audio Tracks, check this Tech-Tip from Chris here :

Very nice and detailed course from Protoculture. Im happy with the content. Keep up the good work.