How To Make - Progressive Trance with Protoculture / 511

Sure but technically speaking because you’re triggering the compressor with only the highs, the decay is MUCH shorter due to the mids not having a tail like the bass in the kick drum. Has pretty much the same effect since the compressor is not working when the bottom end of the kick is audible. Try it out… it’ll give you pretty much the same sound as splitting into two bands and processing separately.

1 Like

I see. I can see there is still more for me to learn about a compressor. I didn’t think that decay time of a sound came in to play with the GR and that that was just handled by the release settings of the comp itself…so much to learn (and unlearn!).
PS I’ve been digging your podcast. Great music!

Very good!

Nice… Thanks

Very Nice !!! it helps me alot

Great stuff!

this is Huge massive !!

Great job guy’s, look forward to more like this. =)

nate , who is UNION in A.N.A ?
lol

We need more tutorials like this – more modern sounding trance. Thanks for this tutorial! Now how about a modern style trance tutorial from Mark Sixma or something? =)

1 Like

nice one, I appreciate!

Thanks for these kind of tutorials!!! we need more like this! Trance is life!

Re-subscribed to do this tutorial - I love the track. Protoculture wasn’t joking when he said that he wouldn’t cover the basics - I had to replay some sections a few times. I learnt so much from it - multiple layers of compression, use of distortion, pitch sweeps, mid/side processing etc. I didn’t have any Fabfilter plugins, but used Izotope ones instead. My effort is here, done in Studio one - Trance track - Asphalt - Protoculture - YouTube

1 Like

Such a valuable resource. It’s great to get some inside advice on a genre that seems to get swept under the rug by a lot of tutorial sites. Top class!

good informative videos

Great stuff! Loved how we went from the very beginning to the end. It framed the workflow in a way I finally understand.

This tutorial brought me back from break, awesome tutorial. One of the best on the site.

Great tutorial honestly!

Helpful!

Nice tutorial! I like that you skipped on the more basic stuff to get into the more advanced technics. Cheers!