How To Make - Stoic with Dom Kane / 718

Stoic with Dom Kane

View Course

Sonic Academy proudly welcomes back mau5trap’s Dom Kane for another awesome How To Make course, this time looking at his new release ‘Stoic’.

With its long chilled intro transitioning to a floor-filling groove we get the lowdown from Dom into how this evolving track was formed, and as with all of his tutorials we also get the ‘why’ as well as the ‘how’.

Beginning with the back story we start creating the track with a layered chord progression and top melodies for the intro before diving into creating the driving transient heavy bass and kick for the drop.
Once the rest of the percussive elements are added for the drop section we then look at how to successfully transition from the two very different sections using modulation and automation, and once the tension has been built for the drop section we arrange the track and carry out some final tweaks so it’s ready for the mixdown stage.

An easy-to-follow course for users of all abilities Dom’s no-nonsense approach to music production shines once again so go check it out!

Yes !! Lovely one, such a great & different track, can’t wait to dive into this. Thanks for sharing @domkane

1 Like

Very very clear tutorial, like always by Dom Kane. Thank you for sharing this. Gave me some insights into stuff that are way more clear now!

1 Like

Excellent stuff, five stars is not enough to rate this course, so let"s give it a 10/5 … Lol. Everything is clearly explained, from how the track came to be to it’s naming as well as the role of every element in this brilliant track with very valuable explanations based on the impact they have on the listener.

Serious sharing & teaching skills from @domkane here and a ridiculous expertise level of production while keeping things quite simple and most of all making sense. Even the vocabulary, tone & expression make this a breeze to watch, listen and follow.

Next to that, the resources and project file is also top quality, and if you own the soft-synths used in this track you’ll be able to load the full Bitwig project with a demo version of the DAW because all effects used are native. The somehow simple yet cleaver techniques used to produce the track also makes it easy to replicate in any DAW of your choice.

Again excellent tutorial & brilliant track, really worth the watch, thanks for sharing this and the attention payed to details & explanations.

1 Like

Excellent course! I’ve been moving to a “less is more” approach to production style so I really liked how you created the track using mostly native effects and instruments. There is a time and place for third party effects and instruments but these days the DAWs built in stuff is good enough. I’ll definitely try to recreate on my own to see what I come up with.
Also, if anyone is trying to learn more about music theory these books by Micheal Hewitt are an excellent place to start.
Music Theory for Computer Musicians
Composition for Computer Musicians
Harmony for Computer Musicians

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thank you all, glad you like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is what I’ve been waiting for! I’m going to work right away!

1 Like

THanks for video! Amazing track, melody is Phrygian Scale and major chord in the end of progression, made some magic feeling. First time i see this Host - Bitwig Studio, interesting why you choose tis sequensor?=)

1 Like

can’t wait for some Bitwig 3 love! cheers here to Dom and Televisor for showing some Big Bitwig respect…

1 Like

Thanks, as much as I always tell people there’s not much difference between the capabilities of all the DAWs these days, for me personally Bitwig has a much quicker layout, and offers so much more in the smaller details (default channel gain, separate plugin engine, expressive midi, etc) to be able to allow me to only think of the creative flow, rather than the technical menus.

Thanks. Great tutorial !

Excellent tutorial. very inspiring.

The song is sick my mamn. Why does the playthrough give me some clicks and pops? Were those cosmetic? My system works fine on youtube.

Eb in D minor scale is actually super popular! It’s called Phrygian Mode: