How To Make - Structures with Dom Kane / 579

Structures with Dom Kane

View Course

This week here at Sonic Academy we have something pretty special for you, as we welcome back sound design guru and Mau5trap artist Dom Kane - and this time he’s showing us how to make his latest release ‘Structures’ from the ground up.

Using his preferred DAW, Bitwig Studio, he starts off by showing us the chord pattern and sound design in ANA 2 before building the groove and editing samples to create loops of your own. We then check out Dom’s awesome method of giving a random, human feel to the percussion using LFO’s before we build interest and tension, create an endless Shepard Tone riser and finish off with the arrangement.

In this course, we get to see Dom’s approachable and easy-to-follow methods of building a minimal, super effective track for one of the worlds leading record labels.

And this is where it gets freaking exciting!

Sonic Academy have teamed up with Mau5trap and together we’re hosting an awesome exclusive remix competition, where the top prize will be a release on Deadmau5’ very own label mau5trap - home to some of the biggest electronic music released in the last 10 years. The winning remix, as selected by mau5trap and Dom could get a spot on either We Are Friends or FOAR MOAR compilation albums.

Getting your winning mix out on Mau5trap will gain you unparalleled exposure and will kick start your major career! You can be in with a chance of joining artists such as BlackGummy, No Mana, Rezz, Chris Lake, Noisia, Skrillex and Steve Duda on this illustrious label!

The ‘How To Make Structures’ Remix Contest is exclusive and only available on Sonic Academy. We’re proud to have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is awesome!
So, ourselves and Dom Kane are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this epic tune and start working your magic!

We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, make a remix of this track that shines above the rest, and show the world your production talent.

Just click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button above to find out more! This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users.

Contest ends - 13/04/2018 07:00:00 UTC

This track’s heavy!

1 Like

Thanks Dom for inviting us to your track, you some great pointers/techniques that helped me, and the track did get me inspired to make an remix.

1 Like

Dom Kane and Bitwig Studio 2… What’s not to like? This is a good one.

1 Like

Thanks Dom always a pleasure! Do you think it’s possible to get a tech tips tutorial video specific to Bitwig? There are so few videos out there.

1 Like

awwww yeah, another course and remix comp, I’m in! Especially if its mau5trap and Dom Kane :sunglasses:

Yeah. mautrap and bitwig. this is what I like. Bitwig is my daw.

1 Like

Great presentation and in perfect time for myself.
Nice to get your opinion about ”drops”
That makes perfect sense to me. THAT might be that part I was trying to figure out :slight_smile:

Could be that breakdowns and even build ups make me feel more than ”in your face” Drops.

But that is just the way that I should probably focus on.

Cheers!

And Thank you guys!

2 Likes

Great video on Shepard Tones - by Vox on Han Zimmer! Crazy stuff and so cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWTQcZbLgY

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this, thanks DOM. Sonic Academy is on fire with these tuts as well as the Jerome and Alastor ones!

2 Likes

Found this tutorial very nice to follow, well explained, tips & techniques + explaining the intention behind those are very valuable. Thanks Dom & SA, would like to see an upcoming mix-down/mastering tutorial from Dom as mentioned in the last video :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ctracy13 Nice share, thanks !

1 Like

Great tips to pickup on in this. I hope to see more tutorials from Dom Kane.

1 Like

I just saw that there was a Dom Kane interview here on S.A, very interesting one, it suits well with this course and it’s nice to learn more about Dom’s approach to develop tracks around sounds that inspired him. One to watch if you didn’t.

2 Likes

Great tutorial for a great track

2 Likes

great track, good tutorial.

2 Likes

good cuarse

1 Like

helped a lot especially on the chords and randomized hihats. Great course!

1 Like

nice sound! I’d try to recreate it)

1 Like

" If ever I was to review some clicks, then click 7 would get 5 stars…" I look forward to that video… But in all seriousness, this is a great tutorial. Dom is very thorough, and makes building his track look effortless. Defiantly worth a watch.

1 Like