How To Make - Synthwave with The Midnight / 547

Great Work! Love the song and looking forward to learning from it.

Nice !!

So incredibly helpful. I love The Midnight, and I’ve been really exploring Synthwave/Retrowave recently. This series was a great course in understanding the components of this genre, and how to really put the picture together.

Tim is a phenomenal songwriter and producer. I joined the site just to access this course, and I am so happy that I did!

This was great to see how The Midnight works, and hear why he makes certain decisions. It could’ve gone into a little more detail about how to make some of the presets from scratch, but overall it was great to see the full process.

Very kewl.

Very nice track. Great production values.

Amazing artist …

Excellent! No comments!

Yeah I’m also super curious about how to capture that Dream Synth sound. I’ve been trying to make something like it in FM8 and it’s not really working out. It’s so smooth. If anyone has any knowledge of this or presets that they know of I’d love to see them. Awesome tutorials though. <3

Great tutorial and I laughed out loud at the “kick drum blunder”!

As for the Dream synth, I’ve recreated that sound using an Oberheim OB-Xa emulation, a free VST actually: OB-Dx https://obxd.wordpress.com/

Fantastic stuff, Tim! Became a fan after watching this :slight_smile:

Fantastic course with a very skilled producer. Always liked their music, so it was a pleasure to watch.

Awesome course that gives some really interesting insights into the thought process of making this kind of music.

This was a huge help. Would love to see a video series on how Tim produces these tracks live with Ableton.

Great music and videos. Thank you

Absolutely great videos! Would love to see more of Tim making synthwave!

Beautiful track, wonderful course.

I am a big fan on The Midnight but through out this entire tutorial I hear " I don’t remember where I got this preset from " , not only for the synths but also for the effects , so then what are we actually learning ? some of the sounds presented are what makes a difference between a smash hit or boring garbage so obviously he wants us to remain at the stage of boring garbage if he doesn’t teach us any synthesis whatsoever or where to get those presets he shows . I thank him for showing us arrangement , eq-ing and automation but it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t want to show us his secret sauce…he doesn’t even teach us how to make those melodies , he just performs them and tells us " this is how it sounds on the album " , ya man but how do you get to those notes ? I want to be able to create something not copy this song or your settings for a certain preset … for example that bell , you could teach us how to make a bell from scratch and you could teach us how to get different styles of bells for different uses etc. but we get none of that , same for the dreamy synth and main synth , I was expecting to learn how to make a main synth but he doesn’t teach us anything about how and what makes a good main synth …therefore I rate this tutorial a 6 out of 10

Had to buy a subscription to get this!!! can’t wait to get started learning Synthwave by my favorite SW artist!

1 Like

@Vosto, it’s called messing with the instruments and effects. You don’t want to make a carbon copy of what he’s doing. If you have a modicum of talent and sense you can puzzle out what’s being done here, and apply it to your own sound. Great tutorial!

1 Like