How To Make - Synthwave with The Midnight / 547

Very nice track. Great production values.

Amazing artist ā€¦

Excellent! No comments!

Yeah Iā€™m also super curious about how to capture that Dream Synth sound. Iā€™ve been trying to make something like it in FM8 and itā€™s not really working out. Itā€™s so smooth. If anyone has any knowledge of this or presets that they know of Iā€™d love to see them. Awesome tutorials though. <3

Great tutorial and I laughed out loud at the ā€œkick drum blunderā€!

As for the Dream synth, Iā€™ve recreated that sound using an Oberheim OB-Xa emulation, a free VST actually: OB-Dx https://obxd.wordpress.com/

Fantastic stuff, Tim! Became a fan after watching this :slight_smile:

Fantastic course with a very skilled producer. Always liked their music, so it was a pleasure to watch.

Awesome course that gives some really interesting insights into the thought process of making this kind of music.

This was a huge help. Would love to see a video series on how Tim produces these tracks live with Ableton.

Great music and videos. Thank you

Absolutely great videos! Would love to see more of Tim making synthwave!

Beautiful track, wonderful course.

I am a big fan on The Midnight but through out this entire tutorial I hear " I donā€™t remember where I got this preset from " , not only for the synths but also for the effects , so then what are we actually learning ? some of the sounds presented are what makes a difference between a smash hit or boring garbage so obviously he wants us to remain at the stage of boring garbage if he doesnā€™t teach us any synthesis whatsoever or where to get those presets he shows . I thank him for showing us arrangement , eq-ing and automation but itā€™s pretty obvious he doesnā€™t want to show us his secret sauceā€¦he doesnā€™t even teach us how to make those melodies , he just performs them and tells us " this is how it sounds on the album " , ya man but how do you get to those notes ? I want to be able to create something not copy this song or your settings for a certain preset ā€¦ for example that bell , you could teach us how to make a bell from scratch and you could teach us how to get different styles of bells for different uses etc. but we get none of that , same for the dreamy synth and main synth , I was expecting to learn how to make a main synth but he doesnā€™t teach us anything about how and what makes a good main synth ā€¦therefore I rate this tutorial a 6 out of 10

Had to buy a subscription to get this!!! canā€™t wait to get started learning Synthwave by my favorite SW artist!

1 Like

@Vosto, itā€™s called messing with the instruments and effects. You donā€™t want to make a carbon copy of what heā€™s doing. If you have a modicum of talent and sense you can puzzle out whatā€™s being done here, and apply it to your own sound. Great tutorial!

1 Like

The plugins for this track, are they all stock ones?

Hi @Inblut

Checking the main tutorial page and the plugins list on the right side and the answer is NO : many 3thrd party plugins are listed in there. But anyway, when I like a music style or a tutorial I watch it, even if it"s not in my DAW of choice or using plugins I donā€™t own because thereā€™s always something to learn and DAW & Plugins can always be replaced by your own.

Excellent tutorial!

This tutorial is actual garbage.

The entire thing consists of Tim looking for presets or telling us that heā€™s forgotten which preset he used and putting EQ and other dynamic effects on things WITHOUT LISTENING TO THEM. Seriously. This is not an exaggeration.

Before the guy even plays the sounds he is consistently just adding or removing EQ, compression, width on individual tracks. Itā€™s all well and good to know what your own song already sounds like and where to apply EQ, compression and width, but this is a bloody tutorial, is it not?

How can it even be called a tutorial when the guy barely does a pre/post showing of anything?

Absolute garbage.

Some artists have the teacher gene some just double up on the artist geneā€¦ Iā€™m no genealogist but Iā€™m guessing the midnight is more in the artist artist category.

1 Like