How To Make - Uplifting Trance 2017 with James Dymond / 553

Great, thanks!!!

@Vega2k

Sorry for late reply :wink:

You probably made the good choice with the annual plan :smile: .Thatā€™s what Iā€™m using too, the annual subscription for ā€œThe Slate Everything Bundleā€, the only downside is that youā€™ll never own the plugins in the end, itā€™s not like a rent to own plan, but you can pause your subscription when ever you want and when comparing the individual plugins pricing and the ā€œEverything Bundleā€ offer + the fact that youā€™ll have access to the new releases, itā€™s really a fair deal I do think.

BTW they will be adding the ā€œLiquid Sonics Lustrous Platesā€ reverb plugin to the bundle soon :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that the tuts where helpful for you, James Dymond & Nate AKA ā€œProtocultureā€ are both very talented producers and thereā€™s always a lot to learn from their courses here on Sonic Academy. For the specificity of the Slate ā€œEverything Bundleā€ Nate did a very good work uncovering the use of the bundle for mixing & mastering, really should help if starting with the SD plugins :slight_smile:

Cheers & happy mixing with your new SD plugins :slight_smile:

Hello and thanks for the replay.

Thanks for telling me that you will never own them buy having this plan.

But in the future i will probably buy some of them when i get more money. Yes iā€™ve seen that reverb plugin. We will probably get a mail when that happends.

Yes iā€™ve learned ALOT! I MEAN ALOT! Thanks to this course my mix sounds EPIC in sound quallity. But Iā€™m very new, i started to produce and taking this job seriouse last year JAN / FEB. And i see this Tutorial 16 where he have all these envelope automations and all that. I dident get to see why and how he did this.

Is there any tutorials about filtering like that and stuff like that?

Exept for that its all good.
Yes Nate did a very good job with that.
Cheers and have a good day to all of you in SonicAcadmey

Regards
Vega

Canā€™t recall of a specific course just dealing with filtering, I donā€™t think thereā€™s one. In fact filtering will be used in many tutorials since itā€™s definitely something you will need to use for both mixing & arrangement purposes.

In this case what James did in video16 is more on the 2nd approach, itā€™s about arrangement : using those High Pass & Low Pass Filters and writing automation for them allows him to bring elements IN & OUT in the Mix to ā€œbuildā€ a progression and create tension & release for the listener. Just filtering out the Low end frequencies of certain elements, combined with volume level automation allows you to create that kind of progression. Think about a DJ performing a live set when he will filter out all the low end and just let the highs coming through before getting to a main drop with filtering off gain & low end back. Thatā€™s basically the concept here.

In the mixing approach, High Pass & Low Pass filters are used to remove/cut unwanted frequencies in order to give space to each elements of the mix and avoid frequencies dueling/masking. The main difference is that in this case, the filters wonā€™t be automated but set as permanent and many times, some fine EQuing would be done too to remove harsh frequencies or peak resonances.

Hope that this basic explanation makes sense :wink:

So yes, filtering is a great technique that youā€™ll need to experiment with, once youā€™ve mastered the controversial names, because the Hi-Pass filter is cutting off the lower frequencies before the cutting point when the Low Pass Filter is cutting off the Higher Frequencies after the cutting point :smile:, itā€™s just a matter of using them with your ears & some visual tools like spectrum analyzers. You will see it used in lotā€™s of tutorials anyway and will get familiar with it very soon if you started to dive seriously into Music Production :thumbsup:

Hope that helps !

Cheers !

I guess I just have to do it sometimes in order to understand it. Experiance with it.

Great explained thanks again : )

1 Like

Hi again @Vega2k

Well, that new course seems to be right on time for you :slight_smile:

Canā€™t say enough how Nateā€™s tutorials are extremely valuable learning resources :wink:

The Best Tutor I have seen deliver a course. Thanks James

Nice, gonna have a look at that course soon! I got the mail about it thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This course has really helped me progress. Thank you very much!

thank you so much for the advanced tips this has help me come a long way

Really helpful, especially how you use EQ and Compression.

Super helpful course!

AMAZING track will subscribe just for this

Canā€™t wait to see another tutorial from James Dymond!

Really nice tutorial, easy to follow along and very useful. Thanks!

This course is amazing! Still reference it constantly, James is a genius!

@ShannonKick

James Dymond will soon be back with a brand new course for Sonic Academy, stay tune ! :wink:

Damn this course is for 2 years a guideline for quality trance mixing , love all the courses from James.
So when he will be back cant wait !

Hey, @Nachojb we hope to release his new upcoming course on Nov 15th.

2 Likes

@chris_agnelli
Oh man , one month early christmas :slight_smile: