How To Make - Uplifting Trance 2019 with James Dymond / 804

That’s great thanks a lot Stephane and Phil

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! The best tutorial I’ve have ever seen.

So stoked with this course. James does an amazing job of walking through his arrangement and mixing process. 5 stars and would recommend this course to anyone!

1 Like

Hello,
I have a question please, I noticed that with some of the presets James doesn’t turn off the internal reverb (on Sylenth1 for example), is this done deliberately? In those cases where the reverb isn’t switched off it actually has two reverbs, one the internal and the other is the reverb on the bus.
How in general would you recommend to use (or not use) the internal reverb/delay effects on vsts?
Thanks in advance

Hey there @omer-f

Mainly it comes down to 2 things :

• How does the preset & internal effect sounds & sits in your Mix ?
  • Workflow & routing and what you’re aiming at with the reverb.

If you feel like a synth preset with an internal reverb sounds great in your Mix, then why not using it, but if you’re after a more solid, mono"ish" sound or if you feel like the effect is too much pronounced or if you just don’t like how the reverb sounds then you might want to disable it and use your own reverb.

When it comes to workflow & what you’re trying to do with reverb, it might be more easy to automate an external reverb plugin than the internal synth one. That will likely depends on the plugin allowing internal effects automation or not, some don’t or aren’t that easy to map/automate.

If you’re aiming at drastic reverb effects like for example a gradually washed sound for pads, then it’s more easy to use an external reverb set to full on a return channel and automate your sends than an internal synth reverb.

But mainly it all comes down to how it sounds in the Mix in the end, do you feel that the internal reverb/effect is doing good to the sound or not.

I see thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

1 Like

The tips in this are brilliant - the compression and EQ tips really help with the production.

Great Course :slight_smile:

good work

Great tutorial. Very in depth and great explanation as to why you were doing things. Learned alot, Thanks

Learning so much and I have only just started tutorial 9

I’m really loving this course. A quick question @James_Dymond are you using Slicex with the percussion loops ?

Absolutely brilliant course, everything is really well explained. So helpful. Thank you James!

Great Course, learnt a lot from it :slight_smile:

2 months into my music production learning and I followed this course to a T in Ableton. Thank you James, your teaching style is very clear and easy to follow

Thanks you James…most very important lessons!!!

Love your teaching style James, and your approach to producing a track can be followed by someone new to it. Thank you!

Nice tips, thanks!

very good indeed

Excellent Course James, thanks for all of your hard work.