How To Make - What Love Is with Televisor / 496

What Love Is with Televisor

View Course

Another big course from Sonic Academy - This time, we have teamed up with Televisor and Armada Music to bring you - How To Make ‘What Love Is’. A massive nu-disco workout, with solid 80’s groovetastic bassline, mega chords, chuggin guitars and a truly sublime vocal. Here Tim and Tom from Televisor lifts the lid on this superb production by taking us through the project and how they constructed the monster track coming out soon on the mighty Armada Music’s - Bearded Man Recordings. From groove drum programming to verse and chorus chords, to vocal processing and mixing and mastering, this is as solid a course as you are gonna get.

We have also teamed up with Armada Music to offer an amazing remix competition. We are offering the best remix of What Love Is from our subscribers a chance to get their production released on the remix package coming out on Bearded Man Recordings, gaining some global exposure, and of course, some great prizes from Sonic Academy. Click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button below to find out more. Good luck and we can’t wait to hear your entries.

Watch - Download - Create.

love this old tune of 80s and 90s cool awesome will make this song great best

1 Like

So stoked you managed to get Televisor on here, they have been one of my favourite producers for a while now, great tutorial, nice to see some fairly low intensity, high impact mastering too!

1 Like

Really awesome track!!

How you came up with the vocals? Actually i would love to know how your song writing process is. Songwriting is a black area for me.

I thought the song was amazing and the producers are top notch. However as tutors i must give a 2 star. The reason being is because very little is explained on why they do the things they do. They explain a lot on how things should be without giving much in depth to how they were thinking when making those decision. I want better understanding on why they made some steps they were. It was more like watching themselves repeat what they done but thats it. Worth watching is the part with the bass but it moves on to much, didnt get good explenation about the pentatonic scale and when they used it and why. Kinda disopointed but amazing track guys

Honestly dude that is the way it goes with tutorials. Some producers are great at explaining what they do and others will leave you frustrated and confused. Go watch the Activa tutorial or the house tutorials by Ian Bland, they know how to explain what they do in a way that is clear for beginners like us. Unfortunately some guys like Televisor, Echo Sound Works etc… may be good producers but teaching is an entirely different ball game, its just how it goes. I’m not insulting those guys, their skills are mountains above wmine, but its just how it is.

I think as well they are awesome producers. Not insulting either @Gray_Fox. However i have to disagree about echo sounds works, i think he is great. But he isnt beginner material like you say, he focus a lot of intermidiate. I learned a lot from him.

great tutorial as always from sonic academy,
i use ableton so just followed this to give me ideas which i use to put into ableton the best i could.
but i like to see how different producers work, even on different DAWS, i got a lot of useful tips from this so cheers guys.
my remix will be sent over today :slight_smile: hope you like it

I think this one is awesome. The tutorial has some real good nuggets of information. The music style and tutorial approach are a bit different than many of the others out here, but for me this is a welcome change.

Creating the remix is a just a whole lot of fun. Such great vocals and melodies to work with. Keep up the good work!

People seem to be too harsh on them not having much depth. But if they went into details of what some people were asking for I personally would have been skipping around bored to tears, because this site has topics on the very things people complain that were left out and I’ve already watched them. I prefer the concise nature of these how-to’s. However to help users out more I feel like each tutorial should have a “Prerequisites” section that links to helpful tutorials and knowledge that is assumed in this tutorial. Things like chord progression, and music theory in general. If every tutorial on this site repeated music theory every time, I would have a hard time learning new items because I would have to skip over all these parts every single time. The point of this tutorial got across to me and took away how to create a nu disco type track with the knowledge I’ve already gained from the time I put in watching the essential tutorials already on this site.

Great tutorial, learnt a few things. I specially enjoyed the bassline production. I have a question, though nothing to do with production. When you commissioned the singer to sing on your track: how was the payment agreed? Was he paid for the project? Does he get royalties from this? Did he write the lyrics? Etc…

Thank you

if you run a main search for “Bitwig” this course doesn’t come up, only the intro to Bitwig and the Dom Kane Structures course… cheeers!

Hi @MarzTecheque yes, that does not seem to work when just typing “Bitwig” or “Bitwig Studio” from the main Search function from the top right of the site, but if instead you select & hold Tutorials and then click on View All an extended search filter option will display and in the 3thrd boxe from the left in place of Software just type in “Bi…” & select Bitwig Studio in the alphabetical list, the Televisor tutorial should appears in the listed courses.

You can also use this link to get to the Search Filter options above :

Be sure to be on "Courses" in the main search ( you also have Videos & Sounds ) and if performing multiple search one after an another, be sure to use the “Clear filter” option on the right.

Top quality track with an inspiring tutorial.

guitars part 2 is only 2min, 32 seconds - uh oh

Hi there @MarzTecheque

Yes, I just checked this and you’re right, the video looks like it’s truncated, playing is stopping at 2:32 when it it supposed to be more than 7 minutes long.

Thank you for reporting this, will forward this to S.A team so they have a look at it.

Hi @MarzTecheque and @Tekalight that video has now been fixed, thanks for pointing out.

2 Likes

i ended up with something heavier, but the techniques and tips from this tutorial served as the basis, the “guiding light” - Stream Rockin' My Whirl by marztecheque | Listen online for free on SoundCloud