How To Use - Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor with Protoculture / 759

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor with Protoculture

View Course

In this quick How To Use video Protoculture takes us through the controls of the awesome Brainworx emulation of the legendary Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.

A go-to compressor for dynamic control and taming even the most unruly and chaotic transients with flawless tone and control you can dial in compression either through the Optical or the Discrete sections or both, add colour using the three different transformers and Brainworx have kindly added the option of a parallel mix control, a sidechain filter and an external sidechain.

Here we checkout the functions, how they sound and finish off with a practical example.

Nice one to get yours hands & a good understanding of the Shadow Hills Comp, thanks.

Finally solid tutorial on this beast of a plugin. Thanks!

Hi Nate. Do you have a recommended chain/approach using the Plugin Alliance Suite (including Shadow Hills) for a dj mix made in Ableton Live? I’m looking for something to gel it all together and it’s proving trickier that I would think. Right now I have the signal coming in with a few db of headroom into the Brainworx Masterdesk with the settings all on default and then into the FabFilter ProL2 on transparent mode with no input gain, and outputting at -1db. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

You should only really need a limiter just catch any small overs other than that you should t really be mastering already mastered tracks.

Thanks for you input Phil. I’ve heard that line of reasoning before, and understand it. However, when you are mixing different tracks at the very least you have “new” audio when the two are overlapping. Also the mastering on the individual tracks was almost certainly done by different engineers, so you are bound to have some differences in brightness and leveling. Plus, I think it’s nice to have some sort of processing across all tracks that gives a subtle sense of cohesiveness. If you are recording through a dj mixer then that sort of plays that role, but all internally in a DAW there seems to be a need for something else to glue it all together.