Interview - Ilan Bluestone Interview / 295

True virus as is sound.
I really thinking that for the price I am getting a much better deal by owning multiple plugins.

Also when you throw Moore's Law into the equation, then in a few years the Virus TI 2 will be nothing more than a dated sounding paperweight

Would you spend 3000$ on a VST.

Virus Ti is a overprice Vst ...that the fact.

Man :)

It really isnt. I agree with Ilan that you can get the same results by layering sylenth1 but thats simply because sylenth is amazing. The Virus will do it faster and better and its processing power is many times better. It might not be necessary in trance but in other genres you need those CPU heavy synths. I agree that it is overpriced but I wouldnt call it a VST :)

Theres no magic in the virus and it could be easily made in to a vst. The coding is no different than any plugin really. It runs on sharc dsp chips similar to UAD stuff. What sets different synths apart are the osc and filter algorithms. Virus is a good synth but thers nothing "special" that coulnd be replicated in a plugin.

I stand corrected. I simply wonder why noone has done that then :)

I think plugin designers maybe just want to implement their own ideas.

I own a Virus TI and other VST synths including Sylenth and I agree with Anton. You cannot compare the sound of a TI to a software VST, there is alot more to the TI under the hood and its sound be referred to as just "Digital". That statement is ill informed and sounds more bitter than educated.

But it is just digital... Ones and zeros just like the rest. It's a great synth there is no denying that. And maybe. 3-4 years ago there was no comparison but modern plugin synths like Sylenth, Strobe, Diva, zebra, Synthmaster, ANA etc, are technically similar architecture with the same technology. I would have no problem taking on a challenge of replicating any virus preset with those plugins... I'm sure I could get very similar sounds and quality.

Similar, if your pc could host over 100 voices which is in most cases not likely. Im not knocking vst's but a performance minded player would be better with a virus or nord etc on the road than.lugging a pc capable around. Virus has allot more than its dsp going for it if you yake the time to see whats under the hood.

256 voices is what we use for the ANA benchmark preset which drives CPU to around 50% on a quad core i7 iMac. Maybe I'm missing something but is there anything other than Dsp under the Virus hood? I have a virus B running on a single sharc dsp chip on my TC Electronic Powercore. The virus B is obviously not as powerful as a Ti but it uses the same technology. For live there is no question a hardware synth is a better bet but it's not something I do much of.

I have ANA and its a great synth with nice sound, it all comes down to form and use. Virus has power and lots of it. I have an i7 desktop and use several vsts among other hardware, I use the ti for heavy pads and leads simply because to replicate it with vst it takes allot of pc power even with the rig I have.

Virus is performance minded, that is where it shines the most and that is where it can.be really appreciated.

If you have any sounds you particularly like on the virus if love to try and replicate them with ANA... Just too see how it compares. The virus has such a nice distinctive vibe ... Would like to try to figure it out better.

Please do an expert tutorial on layering, I think these last few interviews have really shed some important insight on the topic!

Excellent video! I've noticed that layering is key to accomplishing that sound we hear in all these radio shows. One minor complaint: The music is too loud, imo, while the interview is going on, but besides that it's an incredible interview.

He's intelligent, passionate and well spoken. Great interview and refreshing after sitting through the Audien interview!

'funnily enough'

Ilan is a gentleman, had the pleasure of warming up & handing the Mighty Lush turntables over to him back in Feb 15. I'm a huge fan of his work! Cheers Chris :-) great interview!

We need a how to make tutorial from the man himself.

I can then die in peace.

we will do our very best - but I know he is a very busy man indeed!

Can we get Ilan now by any chance :slight_smile: