Is there a plugin that tell you what chord you are playing?

[quote]wickedged (22/08/2011)[hr]Thanks - I heard that Logic does this. Bugger - I’m on Ableton. I’ve used the spectrum analyzer trick quite a few times but unfortunately this only gives you note references rather than specific chords.

I think I’ve found a (slightly clumsy) way around it. I have an app called ‘Pro Chords’ that I’ve just seen lets you dial in the notes for a chord but isn’t always great at recognizing which one it is.

If anyone hears of a plugin that does this I’d love to hear it. I’m quite surprised there isn’t one already - a gap perhaps in the market?[/quote]

Could you not build a custom FX rack with an EQ8 for each note you suspect is in the chord (say 4 or 5) and then one by one filter out all the other notes with a narrow band pass filter followed by a spektrum which will then tell you each note? So if you have 5 notes in the chord 5 EQ8s, each band passed to each note with 5 Spektrums. If you find another note you can then add a new EQ 8 and Specktrum. Then once you have all the notes you could search for them online perhaps or maybe someone clever with music like Jamie could tell you once you have them sussed? Hope that helps.

Well, thanks for your ideas everyone. Jamie, I think you are right with the music theory book - as my first post said I fully recognise my stupidity in this area and am shamefully looking for a quick fix without any of the hard work. As always I’m spending far more energy looking for a way to avoid learning stuff than I ever would in just learning it. That said of course, if Logic can provide readouts of such complicated chord structures why couldn’t a VST?

Anyway, the question is redundant if there aren’t any out there in the first place. So my next question is what theory book would you recommend? I’ve found ‘Music Theory for Computer Musicians’ and ‘Music Theory for Dummies’ on Amazon. Any preferences?

Music Theory for Computer Musicians’ :slight_smile:

Look at the first note in the chord your playing… This,usually gives alot away as to what chord your playing…

Jan, I don’t even know where to begin in responding to this…

You are certainly not stupid! I suppose Logic’s method of labeling a chord works to some degree, but I wonder to what end? I mean, if the DAW tells you what chord it is that you are playing, then great! But what after that? What I was saying earlier about context is relevant here because knowing the chord name wouldn’t necessarily help anyone figure out what chord would come next unless one knew how certain chord alterations would be resolved, or how voice-leading techniques would make transitions between chords smoother. See what I mean?

Don’t mean to answer a question with a question, but what exactly would knowing the chord quality do for you in terms of your production?

[quote]wickedged (22/08/2011)[hr]Well, thanks for your ideas everyone. Jamie, I think you are right with the music theory book - as my first post said I fully recognise my stupidity in this area and am shamefully looking for a quick fix without any of the hard work. As always I’m spending far more energy looking for a way to avoid learning stuff than I ever would in just learning it. That said of course, if Logic can provide readouts of such complicated chord structures why couldn’t a VST?

Anyway, the question is redundant if there aren’t any out there in the first place. So my next question is what theory book would you recommend? I’ve found ‘Music Theory for Computer Musicians’ and ‘Music Theory for Dummies’ on Amazon. Any preferences?[/quote]

[quote]dom_moulton (22/08/2011)[hr]
Could you not build a custom FX rack with an EQ8 for each note you suspect is in the chord (say 4 or 5) and then one by one filter out all the other notes with a narrow band pass filter followed by a spektrum which will then tell you each note? So if you have 5 notes in the chord 5 EQ8s, each band passed to each note with 5 Spektrums. If you find another note you can then add a new EQ 8 and Specktrum. Then once you have all the notes you could search for them online perhaps or maybe someone clever with music like Jamie could tell you once you have them sussed? Hope that helps.[/quote]

How did I miss this?

Genius.

You should buy M4L & stick a 3D’izer on it.

Virtual Piano Chords

http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

take your pick :slight_smile:

[quote]ICN (23/08/2011)[hr].

[quote]dom_moulton (22/08/2011)[hr]

Could you not build a custom FX rack with an EQ8 for each note you suspect is in the chord (say 4 or 5) and then one by one filter out all the other notes with a narrow band pass filter followed by a spektrum which will then tell you each note? So if you have 5 notes in the chord 5 EQ8s, each band passed to each note with 5 Spektrums. If you find another note you can then add a new EQ 8 and Specktrum. Then once you have all the notes you could search for them online perhaps or maybe someone clever with music like Jamie could tell you once you have them sussed? Hope that helps.[/quote]

How did I miss this?

Genius.

You shouldbuy M4L & stick a 3D’izer on it.[/quote]

Don’t worry, i’m on it brother. M4L soon come. Then i’ll show you all!

ok i am sure this might be a cheap way . but if you own melodyne. read the track and select poly the sample chords or whatever sounds .

it will exactly tell you the pitch of each notes. i still prefer you learning music theory . it will help you on the long run

[quote]JamieinNC (23/08/2011)[hr]You are certainly not stupid! I suppose Logic’s method of labeling a chord works to some degree, but I wonder to what end? I mean, if the DAW tells you what chord it is that you are playing, then great! But what after that? What I was saying earlier about context is relevant here because knowing the chord name wouldn’t necessarily help anyone figure out what chord would come next unless one knew how certain chord alterations would be resolved, or how voice-leading techniques would make transitions between chords smoother. See what I mean? [/quote]

Again, showing my embarrassing lack of musical theory I have an app called ‘Pro Chords’ on my phone that suggests chord progressions based on what the previous chord in the sequence was. Its not brilliant but is good for generating ideas when you draw a blank. The problem is that I write by messing around with random MIDI note combinations when starting tracks off, so need to know what the final chord I’ve ended up with if I am to be lazy!

I’ve got an app on my phone called “Octavian” I’ve only scratched the surface so I’m not sure if it’s what your after…

In my quest of disproportionate effort to avoid learning music theory, I have found these two tools below. The first is for Ableton users only, and is a MIDI effect rack that a guy over on the Ableton forums has developed to turn your root notes into all kinds of wierd and wonderful chord progressions…

[url=http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165753]Easy chords - free midi rack for writing parts - Ableton Forum

The second is a website that is a reverse chord finder. Put in the notes you have played an it tells you the chord you have produced. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

[url=http://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php]Chord Identifier - Reverse Chord Finder - Search chord by notes

Hope these help anyone as pitiful as me.

Logic hint for me! :smiley:

[quote]wickedged (23/08/2011)[hr]In my quest of disproportionate effort to avoid learning music theory, I have found these two tools below. The first is for Ableton users only, and is a MIDI effect rack that a guy over on the Ableton forums has developed to turn your root notes into all kinds of wierd and wonderful chord progressions…

[url=http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165753]Easy chords - free midi rack for writing parts - Ableton Forum

The second is a website that is a reverse chord finder. Put in the notes you have played an it tells you the chord you have produced. Almost exactly what I was looking for!

[url=http://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php]Chord Identifier - Reverse Chord Finder - Search chord by notes

Hope these help anyone as pitiful as me.[/quote]

still need to learn the basic my friend. i see how that website works . but if you have that on your head it will save you more time . IMO

He right! You shouldnt cut corners unless your guetta or tiesto!!

Or you just simply love Octagons :slight_smile:

ear training will help this!

http://fabriziopoce.com/HarmoTools.html
wish i could use it but i only have ableton standard and i believe this is a max for live device.

and alot of you guys are toxic as hell. the guy just wants to be able to see the chords hes play as hes playing them. Dont be mad you guys spent all this time learning theory when there are easier ways

Hi there @HELLOxFRIEND

You’re re-opening an 8 years old topic here… Might have been the confusion with the time stamp displayed on the topic prehaps, Aug 11 doesn’t means actual 11th of August but August 2011 .

Next to that, if you click on the avatar or user name in a post, you will have a popup window with the user name profile, clicking again on this window will display the Profile Activity page and from there you can see information like Last Post & Seen. In this case this user wasn’t active since 2013, so really a dead topic here.

Hope that helps for browsing & reading on the forums :wink: