Jerome Isma-Ae - Fiction Remix Competition with Jee Productions / 12

Jerome Isma-Ae - Fiction Remix Competition with Jee Productions

View Remix Competition

Taking our courses to the next level, here on Sonic you can now watch the track being made, download both the project and stems and then submit your own remix with the chance to win some great prizes.

The How To Make Fiction Remix Contest is exclusive, here on Sonic Academy and you could be in with a chance of winning some cool prizes and ultimately getting a release on Jee Productions - a progressive house label founded by Jerome Isma-Ae, releasing cutting edge music and being considered one of top Progressive House labels by beatport. Your track could be released on Volume 2 following on from the first volume which featured the likes of Robert Babicz, Third Son, Tone Depth and Kris Davis.

After the success of our previous remix competitions, we know we have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is truly amazing.
So, ourselves and Jerome Isma-Ae are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this awesome tune and start working your magic!
We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, make a dope remix of this track and show the world your production talent.

Go get started! We can’t wait to hear your submissions.

So what’s a contest without a prize eh? Well if your remix of his track ‘Fiction’ is chosen by Jerome, you can win a release on Jee Productions!*

But that’s not all, you will also win a massive £150 Sonic Sounds store voucher to spend on our award winning plugins and any preset or samples packs on the store. We will also have two amazing runner up prizes.
If you’ve created the second best remix, you’ll win a £50 Sonic Sounds store voucher.
The third place wins a ÂŁ25 Sonic Sounds store voucher.

Related Course
Remember to check out the course - How To Make Fiction with Jerome Isma-Ae - for the full lowdown! Available to all Subscribers right now!

This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users so spread the word and, join in.

@Revkin Nice track but could benefit of some low end adjustment, it’s too loud and saturated.

@Enlusion Great track and nice balanced mixing work !

Thanks for your feedback @Tekalight! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the feedback! Super useful and definitely on point. I know exactly what to hit in regard to your note!

Happy that you found this helpful, you know that you can re-upload your track until the submission limit time, so you still have plenty of time to tweak it. :slight_smile:

I found the start of your track very nice at the beginning but as soon as the sub-bass comes in it really takes over the nice melodic high frequency sounds and you have too much loudness, I don’t know if you used a limiter or compressed the track on your master, but it’s definitely too loud & saturated. You also clearly see that on the wave form of your submitted file.

Also pay attention to the attack of your sub-bass, especially when it start again after the break down and maybe some drops sounds could be more on time ( tiny tweak to my ears ). Maybe I’m wrong but if you really zoom big into your tracks, you’ll perhaps find some drops sounds or perc’s sounds that might be a tiny bit off tempo.

Good luck, I’m still searching my way through this remix, it’s hard to get out of the way of the original arrangement and this emotional chord progression… :smile:

Cheers,
Teka

@iamMTN Very punchy track !! Maybe too much :slight_smile:
it could be more balanced. I think you’ve got too much low end with your kick & bass, and I find the track over compressed and gated. The snare after the kick is sucking up a lot of dynamic out of it and too many arpeggios all the way long is making the listening experience very linear. It would be really nice if it was more balanced and more fluid with some movements through the arrangement.
So far my preference is going for the remix of Enlusion, now I will have to stop making comments or I won’t be able to finish mine !! :slight_smile: because tha’ts often what’s happen !! :slight_smile:
You 3 did a nice work, so congrats to everyone so far and all the best ! I would like to know what you think of each other’s tracks as well, though it’s a competition, it’s also the Sonic Academy community after all !!

@Tekalight thank you for the comments. Good luck.

@Revkin really enjoying this remix :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dpdug Thank you so much! Really means a lot to hear that :slight_smile:

Joining the club… Very impressive mixes so far guys, good luck!

2 Likes

@FrankyCaldera Nice track with an original & refreshing arrangement ! NB : Your track naming is incorrect :slight_smile:
@Secca your track contains very nice synths sounds that don’t come through the mix because of your bass and kick being too loud, especially in the first part of the track ( to my listening & liking at least ) . Like very much the soft part just after the main break and the following part is more balanced in terms of levels, it sounds better. Original as well.

Already good work from all here… Good Luck everyone !!

Thanks for your comments @Tekalight. I guess I just like to be a bit different… arrangement-wise ánd naming-wise. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much for that feedback! will tweak those parts and re upload it…(if its allowed)

@Secca :slight_smile: sounding much better now !! Good work ! Last thing I noticed is a recurrent “click” sound coming always about a mil.sec before the 3thrd snare, it disappears in the very last part, so I guess you’ve got a sample that’s not correctly faded at the end or one sound that you cranked up too much and it’s distorting, check it out.

@brinir You’ve got an original track and I don’t dislike the fact that it’s going more techno/trance but that loud sub-rumble is too loud and not following the melodic variation of the track. Kick very loud as well, try to tweak/decrease those both elements first and level up the mix against it again. Well, just saying… ):

@Tekalight Thank you for the comments, I appreciate your feed back. I’ve gone back to the mix and the kick was actually the cause of the rumble, also you were right the sub was not following the variations during the track. How this got past me I don’t know? I’ve been too close to the track I think. Funny enough I also noticed it was out of key too. Its my first time attempting a master too so its been fresh waters for me on this one. Again thanks for the comments.

@brinir I had a new listening ( 29/01/ 9PM ) and your track is sounding much better now, good work done !

Whut it do world? Hope you cn dig it…

Guys, I think we should extend this competition until mid-Feb (16th)- who is down with that? Give everyone a chance to make the remix as good as can be. I love the help you are giving each other.

@chris agnelli yes please!