Julian Gray - It is what it isn't Remix Competition / 18

Amazing stuff guys! Everyone here, beginner or pro, old or young, should be proud of the long list of amazing remixes each and every one of you help contribute to, and the amount of originality and emotion in each different remix!

Good luck to all! :slight_smile:

@Destlours amazing stuff bro

Good job everyone!:star_struck:
@marcomakesmusic nr 1

wow so many great remixes… I feel bad for whoever has to review them all and make a decision… I love @producer1 trance mix and I think I heard a drumb and bass one from someone else.

@Adam_Jasim I’m having the exact same problem as you regarding playback, not sure what the issue is tbh… In the end I uploaded to SC and msg’d @Julian_Gray. Hope this helps!

@Sonic_Academy I’m leaving my comment here from my brother’s as my original account (@Gu) seems to be corrupted (playback not working and I can’t leave comments). I hope my submission doesn’t get lost in the process and you will fix this asap!

Hey guys, amazing work on here! Though I’ve had to upload mine on soundcloud as playback isn’t working here for some reason =/ Hassle but hope you’ll give it a listen and enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-991476343/julian-gray-it-is-what-it-isnt-gu-remix/s-smai9

@Gu_music Yeah, I did the same haha. Sonic Academy ended up getting back to me and said it was because there were special characters in the file name of my artwork I designed and uploaded. All good. Julian said he was able to listen anyway when I checked in today.

We have yours downloaded and sending direct to Mr Gray. You can take the version down from soundcloud now.

Some awesome mixes here!
Check out my entry if you enjoy melodies/violins/mallets? YES! Weird Pipe Mallet things! and vibe-y music.

Thank you Sonic Academy and Julian Gray

Siiiiiiigh so many good remixes

Drum Roll - And the winners are

From Julian -: Hey guys! Thank you so much to all that participated! We got around 130 entries and it’s been a pleasure listening to all of them! I was incredibly difficult with so many great entries, but I’ve managed to narrow down my favorite picks for our prizes, as well as some honorable mentions. Here’s what I narrowed down:

WINNER:
It Is What It Isn’t (Arcadia 87 Remix)

• Absolutely stunning remix, incredibly written and flawlessly executed.
    This remix truly captures the essence of ’It is what it isn’t’. The melancholic take on the progression takes me back to the time in my life in which I wrote the original song. The pulsing kick and atmospheric chords convey a beautiful sense of motion and ‘moving on’ in an incredibly vivid way. Arcadia87 instills a sense of nostalgia throughout the production that immediately caught my attention. Technically, I love the inventive reworking of the vocal arrangement and the reimagining of the chord progression. Engineering is top notch with beautiful space and placement of all elements, making this musically and sonically my favorite entry in the competition. Mau5trap, Sonic Academy and I are proud to pick this as our winner. Emotional, Beautiful, Nostalgic, Fantastic.

SECOND PLACE:
It Is What It Isn’t (Marco Remix)

• From the first note I could tell this remix would be a totally different take on the song, not only because of the key change, but the over all tone of the remix. I adore the end-of-summer feeling that Marco brings to the track with this remix. The sustained saw pads and the beautiful plucks in the breakdown create a hopeful and celebratory feeling, a total tonal shift from the original. Falling in the vein of Eric Prydz, Kaskade, and Wolfgang Gartner, some of my favorite musicians, Marco takes second place with his incredible remix.

THIRD PLACE:
It Is What It Isn’t (80M Remix)

• Among the hardest hitting of the entries, 80M brought me back to the days of old electro deadmau5, Chris Lake and Feed Me. Energetic & tight production that harkens back to 2011, an era that shaped me as a young musician. I love the beautiful rendition of the original chord progression used in the verses, and the energetic electro drop & corresponding sound design. This entry takes a very well earned third place.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

It Is What It Isn’t (Bound to Divide Remix)

• Fantastic deep approach! Would be fitting for a Nora En Pure set.

It Is What It Isn’t (Lerry Muller Remix)

• Great classic house vibes!

It Is What It Isn’t (Sysdemes Remix)

• You’ve already won the Dom Kane remix competition, no fair! Stunning work as always!
    It Is What It Isn’t (JNATHYN REMIX)

• Love the approach! The syncopation of the pads & drums is innovative and cool!
    It Is What It Isn’t (meatport Remix)

• Heavy and delicious electro take!

It Is What It Isn’t (Sparkees Disco Flip)

• Impressed by the COMPLETELY different approach to the song. Great sounds!

It Is What It Isn’t (Shore Remix)

• Impressed by the use of completely original vocals!
2 Likes

Awesome remixes ! Congratulations :slight_smile:

Congrats to the winners & all competitors.

Lot’s of great entries & a very high number of submissions here, well done everyone !! :wink: :clap:

Congrats @arcadia87, great mix!