Mixing & Mastering - Mixing an EDM Wall of Sound Part 2 with Soundprank / 486

Back again with another massively in-depth mixing course, Sonic Academy proudly welcomes again ‘Anjunabeats’ ‘Zerothree’ and ‘Enhanced’ recordings artist ‘Soundprank’. We asked you on our socials what mix and creative areas you struggle with, and here Soundprank takes those questions and answers them in this multi-part course. From properly using stereo width to effective sound layering, and advanced mixing techniques to using effects to create tension in a track, there is a wealth if information, tips, and tricks to be uncovered in this course, so prepare your brain bones for a plethora of learning once again! We have also included the Ableton project files so you too can follow along at home.

For those of us who purchased part 1 of this is there not a discount for purchasing part 2…? I figured with this being a continuation there would be a discounted price…

huge thanks for for answering my request! its a really helpful tutorial! using compressors as expander & clippers is just what i needed!

Cool, glad your question got answered - will be doing more of these with Soundprank over the coming months!

Is Colin’s voice little distorted or is it just my ears? Tested both mobile and desktop systems and they both resulted the same. This problem appears at least in vids 01-04. It’s not a big thing but somehow it catches my ear and distracts me a bit.

Hi @RoopeB, Colin was having major work done to his new studio and this was a temporary setup, normal service will resume in the next course - hope it didn’t spoil your enjoyment too much.

all the techno, house, progressive and trance videos are nice and what not and possess a substantial amount of knowledge and advanced techniques but I think it’s time for SA to step it up to the current trend and techniques, if you’ve been to a recent music festival you’ll notice the BASS music trend (bass house, dubstep/trap hybrid, hard style bass etc…) these producers are always coming up with something new or a new way to make their music hit harder you know just adding to this bass music trend and we here still here yet with another electro house/techno tutorial.
just a thought, cheers.

This a great series from Colin, and you’re learning from one of the best out there. It’s important to take time to listen to the details, to what he has to say, and SHOW - look at each plug-in and how they’re stacked, how they feed each other. “The Sum of the Parts” = that’s how the wall of sound works. There’s no Magic Button.

loved the toggling on and off of various FX and synth parameters, thats the best way to really hear what each one is doing, would love to see more of this…overall these tuts are awesome, great job colin! :slight_smile:

Out of all the tutorials ive seen so far. This one has taught me the most.

I would love to see part 3 where you don’t use kick plugin for the kick and go over more sidechaining techniques.

Why do you use a normal eq instead of a linear phase eq on your master bus? A lowcut with a normal eq changes the phase of the low end in your track, and therefore the sound.