Mixing & Mastering - Mixing Kick and Bass with Protoculture / 648

After reading the title I expected to learn more about actually MIXING the kick and bass together. IMHO this focusses a lot on what you can do to each of them in solo, but unfortunately not so much on how you get both elements to form a tight and professional sounding low-end. Furthermore, some of the techniques discussed weren’t really applied to a real world example, instead it was just shown how to achieve a certain thing with the plug-in at hand. I didn’t find that to be very useful.
However, I still picked up a few tips and tricks here and there. Thank you!

just discovered sonic academy and am pretty stoked! excited to move forward!

Hey Tim, thanks for the feedback. I did intentionally skip over some real world examples for actually getting tracks to sit together (every track is going to be different, covering a multitude of different styles etc. just wouldn’t have worked)… I felt there is so much of that available through my own as well as other producers Sonic Academy track walkthroughs. Really wanted to focus on some of the more technical ‘fixes’ less discussed by other tutorials. More theory explaining why you do something rather than just showing examples… I’m glad you picked up some tips though aside from that :slight_smile:

Nothing is a thing unless it applies to what you’re doing. The whole shortening the kick thing and check that on a scope is something I do for sure, though most of the time I just adjust the envelope by ear, but it is really dependant on the material you’re working on. If your kick for example is tune, sometimes having an overlap with your bass line is a good thing. Other cases where you’re using an 808 in some styles of music, the kick is the bass line.

Nate, awesome as always!

What is your thoughts on Cubase 10?

Matthew

Thanks protoculture for the reply!
You where mentioning the reverse eq trick for disco records for instance. When applying such a thing, doesnt it really need sidechain anymore? Or is it just one of the many parts that make it sit n that particular genre, Thanks Greatings

Absolutely incredible information from Nate as always–he is on another level. Learn so much with every lesson he does. Thank you!

1 Like

SA just uploaded an overview I did for Cubase 10… loving it so far :slight_smile:

As always it really depends on the situation… if you’re ducking the bass with the kick, the EQ becomes a little less important since there is only a kick playing on the beats. There’s times though when you may from a creative standpoint want a bass note on the kick though… take a listen to Queen’s ‘Another one bites the dust’. The bass on the kick is central to the whole groove, and in this case you want to make sure they sit cohesively together in the mix through something like EQ as I mentioned. Obviously side chaining wouldn’t work here as you’d loose the bass note.

Yeah That’s exactly what i meant with the question! Thank you. Keep this kinda tutorials coming!

amazing tutorial been looking for something like this for a while now

Kudos Protoculture. Fantastic course. That’s a lot of really helpful information including techniques I can apply to a track I’m working on now to fix some problems I’ve been having with it. Thanks!

1 Like

Great tutorial, thanks Sonic Academy & Protoculture!

1 Like

Thanks very much for this Nate have all your tutorials and the information is top notch

1 Like

Thank for for this tutorial, all these EQ techniques are really helpful, cheers!!

Great aproach by now. For me, thats the most difficult info to master at mixing and mastering.

Very very good course/tutorial. A lot of good info’s i never heard about before. Thank you.

Nice

Excellent. Thank you!!

thanks