Music Theory - Scales & Modes / 376

very good explanation of everything.
No sheet music crap, and no classical approach.

Wish this was around 15 years ago. Had to learn this the hard way, but still learned a lot from this different approach.

Have to disagree on the scale plugin though, but understand what you mean, however some people dont want to play the piano, and unfortunately all sequencers are piano based, which is more of a practical solution rather than an ideal solution. Bring on the PUSH. The world needs a new instrument.

Great tutorial. I loved the dual explanation of the minor scales and modes. And I finally understand Mixolydian, haha!

nice work dude! finally getting my head around theory

Would someone please explain why the 6th of a minor 6 chord is not flatted? If minor scale consists of lowered 3,6,7 as shown in Tutorial 3, then it seems as though 6 should be flatted. By comparison, a minor 7 chord flats the 7, so why would not you flat the 6 of a minor 6 chord?

These lessons are excellent. I have learnt more in watching these than I ever did through Guitar lessons etc. many Thanks

This helped me a lot. I couldnt get my head round this all but I think theres light at the end of the tunnel now

When you are learning music production you definately have to check these videos! this is very important and what sonic academy is doing here really helps me alot!

Extremely informative!

Very Helpful!

Very helpfull, It taught me a lot

Muito boa

I’ve always had trouble learning the modes, but this made it easier to understand. thank you :slight_smile:

Great tutorial! it’s very informative and easy to understand.

dont know what a scale degree is. you assume that the watcher is knowing too much before taking the course.

In music theory, scale degree refers to the position of a particular note on a scale relative to the tonic, the first and main note of the scale from which each octave is assumed to begin. Degrees are useful for indicating the size of intervals and chords, and whether they are major or minor.
5 sec googling to help it out bro :wink: exceed34 :wink:

This Live set/ pack seems to be corrupt in Ableton 10?

Hey @monkeysan

Yep, downloaded the Theory_Live_Pack.zip and did some testing here ( though I haven’ t try to install the .alp pack file, but I can confirm that once unzipping the archive, the main SA Scale Template.als file won’t load up in Live 10 when the SA Scale Template.als file located in the SA Scale Template sub-folder will load correctly. See the pic for more clarity :slight_smile:

So the question here is more : is there a difference between the SA Scale Template located at the archive root and the one located in the …Project folder ? @chris_agnelli might be one to check by your end if still possible ( it’s a 2016 course ) , can’t really tell much more on my end in order to help the user here :wink:

Thanks

Edit : Tested on MacOS High SIerra latest and ABleton Live 10.0.06 + latest Beta BTW.

Thanks @Tekalight , that did the trick! I also wonder what the diffs might be, but I was able to use the files I could access to follow along well in Ableton.

1 Like

Perfect for beginners

Very good