Production Techniques - Drums, Breaks & Builds / 401

Thanks for the lessons but FYI Intro and Tutorial 3 videos are corrupt or something, they’re not playing back properly

Thanks for the great tips in this course. :slight_smile:

Gr8

Thanks for bringing me on to the sonic team.

1 Like

Hey @knowatmusic

Welcome to the S.A Community !!
Hope you’ll find a lot to learn & enjoy the site & the forums :wink:

Cheers !

that was awesomely cool!

cool tutorial

nice tut
learn heaps

This os an amaxing tutorial thanks sl much lovely sounfds :grin:

Ooh, seems to be I’m looking for. A little bit stuck with the beats at the moment

Great video

Looking forward to being able to afford this course lol

So broke :frowning:

Thank you!

Hello,

What is the purpose of the b return chain sent to the compressor on return track 3, it seems that you do not mention it, there are already two active compressors, one just behind the reverb and the other after the drum rack

Cheers

Jeff

That would be Parallel compression, otherwise known as “New York Compression”.

You’re only sending a portion of the audio to be processed by the compressor placed on the Auxiliary Channel ( Return Track ) allowing you to blend the compressed signal with the dry signal.

1 Like

Ok for NY Compression and the reverb compressor is side-chained with the kick and is the one on the return track also ?

There’s no Project file included with this course, difficult to give you a straight forward answer on this.

• Could you maybe point a Video Number and a specific time frame showing this ?

Yes indeed there are no resources on this course, the return track is already configured in tutorial 0 and in the third Drum rack FX chains it only talks about Aether.
I reproduced the drum rack because I was looking for this effect on the snare drum and as I said there are already two compressors on the track, for me the one on the return track does not produce much, side chained or not, I must be wrong because if Phil configured it this way, there is a reason, I will look on my side, thanks for the feedback anyway :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and update on this.

Not sure at all since this course is a bit dated now, but maybe @phil_johnston can still pull out this Live project if he still have access to it ?

Yeah looks like the comp on the b return is some parallel compression.

It’s handy having it on a return in drum racks so you can vary the amount for each drum sample. Then mix it in.

The SA76 is a great compressor for drums. That’s what I would use now for this technique.

It’s mainly to add body to drums. Make them sound more aggressive and full.

2 Likes