Production Techniques - Drums, Breaks & Builds / 401

There’s no Project file included with this course, difficult to give you a straight forward answer on this.

• Could you maybe point a Video Number and a specific time frame showing this ?

Yes indeed there are no resources on this course, the return track is already configured in tutorial 0 and in the third Drum rack FX chains it only talks about Aether.
I reproduced the drum rack because I was looking for this effect on the snare drum and as I said there are already two compressors on the track, for me the one on the return track does not produce much, side chained or not, I must be wrong because if Phil configured it this way, there is a reason, I will look on my side, thanks for the feedback anyway :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and update on this.

Not sure at all since this course is a bit dated now, but maybe @phil_johnston can still pull out this Live project if he still have access to it ?

Yeah looks like the comp on the b return is some parallel compression.

It’s handy having it on a return in drum racks so you can vary the amount for each drum sample. Then mix it in.

The SA76 is a great compressor for drums. That’s what I would use now for this technique.

It’s mainly to add body to drums. Make them sound more aggressive and full.

2 Likes