Sonic Feature - Ableton Live 11 First Look with Phil Johnston / 1109

Ableton Live 11 First Look with Phil Johnston

View Course

Ableton has just announced that Ableton Live 11 is on its way and here at Sonic Academy a very excited Phil Johnston has managed to get his hands on the Beta!!

Here he takes a quick look at some of the updated game-changing features including vocal comping, linked tracks, new reverbs and delays, midi clips, macro improvements and MPE!

Phil is just scratching the surface and no doubt we’ll be covering everything in a lot more detail in time but it certainly looks like Ableton have done it once again and shown why they are one of the most popular DAW’s out there.

Check it out and let us know what you think!

1 Like

LOVE IT - just pre-ordered - you get a discount!!! for the upgrade! Don’t lose out!!!

Vocal comping - amazing - “stay in your lane” lol - ok the phase/flanger and spectral devices… great… emulating Audiothing and Softube… nice! Really love the midi stuff at the 2nd half of the video - hmmm… where did I see similar functionality before…? cough cough Bitwig…!!!
Nice work Ableton!!! Definitely worth the tiny upgrade price for Suite 11… game changer is right, Phil!!!

So much goodness in this update.
I wonder if there will be away to add user scales or otherwise add more scales.
It’d also be nice to have a “lock” function on the macros in the racks so that you can pick what gets randomized.

My one pet peeve which is that the levels meter between devices is tiny. I’d like it to take up a big chunk of that space so it’s easier to see at a glance.

Great stuff

Yesss… Very much looking forward to this. Time to start planning accordingly :slight_smile:

I’m a big fan of LIVE since years - can’t wait to install Ableton Live 11 on my computer !!!

Genuinely good song. Is it available anywhere?

Thanks! Not available yet… hopefully soon if I can find a label for it… or maybe release it my self.

Thanks I’m looking forward to manage my producing stuffs with Ableton!

I’m looking forward to using vocal comping.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your comment ! :sunglasses:

I am a super beginner. I would like to see a tutorial on some of the basics - how to record in stereo v mono, how to add a processing chain to a bass track for example, compression, optimizing gain, etc.

@CaptainD38C

Welcome aboard on the forums ! :wink:

Yes, can be doubting to choose where to start and what courses to watch first indeed.

Think SA is working on creating “Playlists” for beginners.

Here’s a list of courses you can start with ( pointed you to Ableton Live courses as well assuming this is the DAW you’re using since you posted in this topic ). That said there’s also Level 1 & 2 courses for other DAWs, you can check this page here Music Production Tutorials | Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Cubase, FL Studio

1 - Beginner’s Guide To Music Production

2 - Ableton Live 11 Tutorial for Beginners - Level 1

3 - Understanding EQ Equalisation - in-depth Understanding EQ guide for Beginners

4 - Understanding EQ Level 2

5 - Understanding Reverb

6 - Understanding Compressors

7 - Ableton Live 11 Tutorial for Beginners - Level 2

Those other ones might be helpful as well :

Beginner’s Guide To Music Theory Part 1
Beginner’s Guide To Music Theory Part 2

Understanding Subtractive Synthesis

Understanding Loudness and Metering

Understanding Mixing Fundamentals
Understanding Mixing Level 2

You can filter courses search and also search with keywords on the All Courses Page

You can add courses to “Your Courses”, add videos to “Playlists” for later review & watching.

More about the website features here as well : New Site Features

All courses have a dedicated topic here on the forums, so do not hesitate to engage the conversation and ask questions :wink:

Hope this helps !

Cheers :sunglasses: