Studio monitors for techno music

Hi!br
br
I have a huge problem. I’m interested mostly on techno/minimal music. I’m considering buing appropriate studio monitors for small room (12m2). But I don’t know one thing. Since the techno music is usually made by using very low frequencies (30-50hz), do I really need to have speakers that can handle this frequencies? I’m considering buying Genelec 8040a (48hz low end), but I feel really uncertain about this frequency. Does it mean that I will have trouble mixing very low bass? If so, which speakers would be perfect or what kind of specifications should I look for? Thank you for help.

you are in quite a small room so it will be very tricky to get the perfect scenario.br
br
Yes in techno it does help to have speakers with a good low range… but your room wouldn’t really handle anything too big.br
br
Those Genelec should be more than enough to get 99% there then if you can take a few mixes to a club or somewhere with bigger speakers to test.br
br
Once you get a feel for your room and speakers and how your mixes sound you can have a good educated guess at whats happening down super low. really you are only talking about between 30-45 which is super low. you should be able to just check this with a spectrum analyzer.br
br
what shape3 is your room? even with those speakers you could get some low mid nodes. esp if its square. br
br
Put the dimensions in here http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htmbr
br
and check what your problem areas are.

Thank you for your response. My room is a rectangle 385cm (length), 300cm (width), 255 cm (height). Do you think gelenelecs will fit it? If not, I would be grateful for some recommendations. I really need speakers, but I also want to spend my money wisely. Im gonna spend in this room next 3-4 years.br
br
I put dimensions on the website you proposed, but I need some time to learn how to read all these information.

Get one of these bad boys, to complement your monitorsbr
br
http://thesubpac.com/br
br
I bought one and they are awesome for testing out what it might sound like in a club, if it’s good enough for Hawtin…

Like most small rooms the results show as you head below 120hz the freqs start to group up so you will get peaks and troughs.br
br
the upper frequencies look pretty good with your ratios thos so thats a plus.br
br
to trap bass at lower freqs takes more space. generally to trap 40hz bass you need around 40cm depth trap. As you go up the spectrum that gets less.br
br
So the bigger your speaker cone i.e. how low freq bass it can produce the more you will be introducing problems that are harder to fix.br
br
I would recommend whatever size of speakers you are going for to get some bass traps in to the corners of the room. but if you are thinking you might want to go bigger than 6" cones. you will significant eat in to the room with the size of traps you would need to control the bass.br
br
I have 10" cones and get freqs down to 20-30hz… i have a ton of traps in me room but im still not 100% happy with the low end. im still getting some resonance around 40hz that is hard to control. but i still like having all that bass for vibe when im producing.br
br
I also have a set of KRK Vxt 4s that go down to about 60hz. they sound great but you notice the lack of any sub.br
br
I think 6" or 8" would be good for you. Krk, Genelec, Dynaudio, etc. al make great speakers.br
br
Have a look at the KRK Vxt range… im really happy with minebr
br