Tech Tips - Tech Tips Volume 57 with Bluffmunkey / 1166

Thanks for an informative video! It inspired to try again to recreate the patch with my vintage hardware Korg Polysix - first time was an utter failure, and I just assumed that the software doesn’t do a good job in emulating the original one. But this time I succeeded - I realized I had just forgotten to put my Polysix into Unison mode the first time! I had forgotten that it has a Unison mode, because I just use it in Poly mode. :smiley:

Regarding the comments about the unison feature - here’s what the manual for the original Polysix says: “UNISON - This mode provides monophonic lead and bass line capabilities, with all 6 voices assigned to one note. Individual voices are automatically detuned slightly to produce a thick, fat texture.” So regardless what the software manual says, the software recreation probably uses 6 voices stacked in its unison mode as well, since it emulates the original. However, the software has an edge over the original, since you can spread the unison in the stereo field. The original Polysix has only mono audio.

1 Like

@jteir

Thanks for chiming in :wink: This quoted paragraph from the hardware Polysix manual explains better what’s going on with this rather “tricky” unison mode implementation done by Korg on this synth, even more tricky on the hardware synth perhaps ( if you don’t read the manual you might not even know that this synth has got unison capability :wink: :smile: ).

Weird Japanese minds… :smile: Well, in the end, the sound is really great, that’s what matters I believe.

Cheers !

@bluffmonkey. You seam like a nice chap, so even without the plug, here’s my preset for people, hope you all use it and like it. I shall refrain from plugging my preset, just for you lovely peeps though.

Here’s my polysix preset for vital

https://we.tl/t-S3DLijojOa

Polysix has a mod where you can change the filter slightly, here’s one with the filter mod. https://we.tl/t-XPSmr2B9Z1

There’s a complete re-creation of Fairlight CMI, available with pay-what-you-want price tag for Windows/macOS/Linux: QasarBeach CMI IIz by AdamStrange

Despite being labelled tech tips, this course was surprisingly comprehensive, one of the best i’ve come across actually. Great to hear the history and a lot of reasoning behind why things are done the way they are. Gonna be buying this as i think its something i’lll comeback to again and again. Thanks

1 Like

This course is by far the most eye opening course I’ve ever taken and I’ve taken many many courses from different platforms. It really shows how there is a history to each genre of music and distinct sounds used in it that can be studied and dissected. I would love to see a series of this for Pop music such as Disco, Trap, Hip Hop, R&B , Dance Pop, all the Top 40 stuff.

This is a great format for a style introduction. A brief history lesson, discussion of typical stylistic arrangement elements, then a light dusting of live examples in a DAW. Perfection. I feel so much more knowledgeable about this style. I remember seeing the Jupiter 8 when it first arrived in the music store back in the 1980’s. It was as if a heavenly light gleamed down on it. Now I have a UVI and an Arturia model and am very happy. I ended up going home with a used Korg PolySix but no longer have it!

1 Like

Legendary! For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!

Discovered this last night. INSTANT buy for me! So many useful nuggets of information, even for experienced producers. Great presentation style, informative, and insightful. Let’s just say, anything that has Bluffmunkey associated with it, I will be consuming from now on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great intro into Synthwave!

This was my first course on Sonic Academy. Found it really interesting and inspiring. Thanks, Bluffmunkey.

Excellent Synthwave kick-starter!

1 Like

good overview

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your comment ! :sunglasses:

phantastic tutorial, especially the history part is always very interesting. great work

1 Like

Superb Course, loving the humour in between to keep it light! :heart:

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your comment ! :sunglasses:

Cowbell!!! Hahahahaha :fire: great review

1 Like

Welcome to the forums ! :sunglasses: