Understanding - EQ / 271

great fundamentals for using EQ.

good

great

Thank you.

Loving this series. Cheers Chris. Feel I got a lot out of this not only on electronic music either.

1 Like

Thanks @james595832

Chris is a bit if a legend in these parts!

I’ll give it 4 stars. I’m a newbie and the content of this course is very very helpful apart from the one video tutorial 7.

Nice Course!

I was looking at tut 4 because bass is my weak point. Do you always keep your kick close to 0db? Doesn’t the sum of everything with a kick that high lead to clipping on the master bus?

Hey @MartyTheC
This is a course about EQ so levels are not to be looked at references here, it’s more important to focus on frequency ranges when it comes to EQ, not volume.

Absolutely, it’s the way it works, but again do not focus on levels watching an EQ tutorial :slight_smile:

Cheers !

dude has an awkward way of saying “bass”

Ima that dude, what wrong with the way I say bass, cause it’s all about the bass, bout the bass…

1 Like

great tutorial. Would love a follow up to this showing more advanced techniques. :slight_smile: Also a tutorial on gluing tracks together and accomplishing a more fuller sound :slight_smile:

Hey @djtommyheron have you checked the Protoculture Tutorials series ?? Outside the dedicated Cubase one ther’s really great stuff there in terms of Mixing & Mastering :wink:

ahh nice one cheers mate will have a look now!

nice one thanks ,I would like to know more about what the fundamental eq is and how to find it

Hey there @sundles

I don’t get the question, what do you mean by the “fundamental EQ” ??

This tutorial was the fundamental ( first course ) tutorial on Understanding EQ , there’s a level 2 & very recent tutorial here Understanding EQ Level 2 with Protoculture | Tutorial 01 - Introduction

Now if you refer to something in this initial course when mentioning “fundamental EQ”, please point to a video number and time frame where this isn’t clear to you :wink:

Hi

The question arose because in Tut 4 Mixing Kick and Bass at about 2 mins Chris says he is going to find the fundamental , I assume he means the fundamental frequency ?I would like to know more about how to find that frequency , is it the loudest frequency or the most harsh or something else ,how do I find it ?

I think I understand it but would like more info if possible

Much appreciated

Ah OK, the fundamental frequency, not EQ, it makes more sense now :slight_smile:

Well, reading your comment I think that you got the principle really, yes most of the time it’s the loudest frequency which is matching the fundamental note that compose the sound.

This is based on the relation between musical theory notes and they frequency equivalences within the frequency spectrum, each notes is matching a specific frequency like for example the A5 reference tone note A (440 ) is matching a frequency of 440 Hz.

Now when it comes to a single note played back by a traditional instrument it’s rather easy to see it on a FFT spectrum analyzer, but with more complex sounds like chords or bass & elaborated synth sounds, it’s a bit less obvious.

We can compare this to playing a single note and a chord in music theory : in a chord there’s a root note that is the fundamental and other notes that are related to this fundamental and playing harmonies, the principal is the same when looking at FFT Spectrum and frequencies, we can see fundamental frequencies but also the harmonics frequencies that a sound generates.

So if you play one A5 note, you will see a louder, dominant 440 Hz frequency in your FFT analyzer but also all the other frequencies : the harmonics that this note is generating.

NB : All of this is quite well explain in the Level 2 of Understanding EQ with Protoculture BTW, I suggest you’ll have a watch to it ( link in my previous post )

One very nice and free FFT Analyzer that can display notes + frequencies information is SPAN from VOXENGO, you can grab it here Free Spectrum Analyzer Plugin, FFT, Real-Time [VST, AU, AAX] - SPAN - Voxengo

See also the chart below as a reference for notes to frequencies but you can find many sheets & other information like this on the web :wink:
ChasinConversionChart.pdf (26.9 KB)