Understanding - EQ Level 2 with Protoculture / 663

EQ Level 2 with Protoculture

View Course

Sonic Academy proudly welcomes back Nate Raubenheimer aka Protoculture this week for a masterclass in EQ.

The importance of EQing our tracks effectively cannot be emphasised enough, and over these 18 videos we delve into the depths of what, why, where, when and how to EQ every element of our masterpieces so that each frequency can be heard or removed to make them shine to their full potential.

From the very basics of where each sound sits in the frequency spectrum to the different types of EQs available and when and how to use them, Nate leaves no stone unturned, finishing off with practical examples as he processes a track to give each element its own space in the mix.

Extensively using Fab Filter’s newly released Pro-Q 3 to demonstrate, this is a masterclass from a true professional aimed at users of all abilities and a course that everyone can take something from to raise their game to the next level!

Go check it out!

I like Nate! He’s knowledgeable, he’s got a clear voice, he’s got a track record and covers a wide range of plugins and tells us what he’s looking for in them in an honest way. Go go go!

Explains things so well. Thanks Nate!

Àmazing tutorial! Thank you Nate. More of these kind of tutorials would be extreemly helpfull to watch :slight_smile:

Helpful Tutorial

Excellent tutorial, thank you Nate. I can watch you teach all day!

Just at the beginning of this one and as usual with Nate an all topic background & solid basics introduction with useful terms + references before diving into specifics and practical examples. That makes the learning curve very smooth IMO. Definitely one to watch, there’s a lot of fundamentals not to miss here. Thanks.

Awesome & Helpful technics :wink: like this

Probably the best course on EQ I’ve seen. Thanks Nate!
For a cheaper option to Pro Q3, check out Voxengo GlissEQ.

Very good guide!

Thanks for the tutorial. Where can I download the guidelines from the 2nd video?

@Dfanaei

There’s no specific download just run a Google search for " EQ Chart(s) " as mentioned in the 2nd video around 3:05

really awesome tutorial!
Thank you and looking forward to more!!!

Excellent And informative series. Great instructor.

I watched this course twice. The first time just to watch and get a feel for the concepts. The second time, I took such detailed notes that I had no choice but to internalize it all. I myself won’t use nearly as many plugins as he does, but just understanding the subtle differences between different EQs helps me better pick the tool for the job, and to use that tool to its full potential. This made me really want to get Maag EQ4 for the “Air band”, but I stumbled on a very similar (and FREE) plugin called Luftikus which is pretty much the same. Highly recommend if Nate sold you on Maag EQ4 as well!

1 Like

There’s a decent free Pultec emulation: PTEq-X by Ignite Amps - Tube EQ Plugin VST VST3 Audio Unit

1 Like

The tutorial is great so far but i’m hitting a bit of a stumbling block in tutorial 10 with cutting out the mud.

I’m not sure how you identify it, I know you look for mud in the mid range from 250hz and up maybe 300hz and up but what am i listening for when boosting those resonants with an EQ.

Thanks.

Fantastic :slight_smile:

@Donk1

Yeah, it may not always be straightforward when it comes to what exactly should you be listening and weird terms like muddines, harshness, boxyness:roll_eyes:

It comes with time and listening to reference tracks and mixing your owns.

Those courses might be handy tho ( The 1st one is an older course, but still on point :+1: ).

Mixing Techniques Creating Space

How To Hear EQ Frequencies with Bluffmunkey

Hope this helps !

Cheers :sunglasses:

Massive thanks i’ll check those out.

1 Like