Understanding - Loudness and Metering with Kirk Degiorgio / 645

@Kirk_Degiorgio Thanks a lot for this excellent tutorial that hopefully will demystify this quite confusing “Loudness” science and bring people to review their old “make it loud” mixing & mastering habits which is now totally depreciated when it comes to streaming & digital music distribution platforms.

In addition to the plugins you show & mention in these videos, it’s good to mention that iZotope just released Insight 2 with improved features & new loudness targets presets ( though they’re more aiming at the broadcasting world, but they do have a standard AES norm at -16 ). I wish that they will add future presets aiming at digital distribution.

I also suggest people to have a look at the M.A.A.T DRMeter MkII which was released a few month ago. One of the audio engineer behind this plugin is no one else than Friedemann Tischmeyer who is well known for his mastering techniques trainings & work with Steinberg.

As an insight about your question about a good range TP limit to set, the numerous presets within the DRMeter MkII plugin are all set to -0.5 dB for all online digital music platforms.

( Head up to the forums to view the full post and access the screen shot picture )

It is very helpful and useful tutorial, thanks for all proper explanations!
BUT, forgive me if i wrong, sound of your microphone is so LO-FI and so CHEAP recorded that makes me feel a bit confused about all things you are talking about in this very wanted tutorial… or that not an issue in that case?!
Best regards and full respect anyway

Been through the all series of videos and didn’t have any problem with this. Have you been listening with headphones or monitors or directly on laptop / computer speakers perhaps ?? Only during few moments the music playing from the DAW was a bit louder than the voice over but Kirk Degiorgio took care of reducing the master level on the DAW each time and explained also about that.

Definitely not an issue here, the voice over is not a part of the track, nor was it intended to be mixed like broadcast or movie voice over.

very helpful!

wondering what if you’d have a club mix, which is f*cking loud. Say -5 or -6 lufs. Can you simply strip the whole volume back with a gain before the limiter to achieve the loudness compatible for the digital platforms?
The thing is a tend to mix very loud with only a limiter on.

@MIEL Better think the other way around I believe since adding gain before the limiter to decrease/increase what’s going in will definitely not have the same effect as working on each track right from the start.

It’s a totally different approach here and mixing at lower levels using these techniques will allow you to retain dynamic, clarity, being less fulled by your ears for low end and you’ll still be able to push your limiter at the final mixing/mastering stage in order to reach those club levels. It’s not rare to see audio engineers pushing up limiters by 12/14 dB in fact at mastering stage.

It’s ok but not that the best explanation.

Great tutorial, just snagged waves durrough for a solid V/U meter and will reference this course before i send my tracks to master!

Fantastic Tutorials well done to Mr.degiorgio :slight_smile:

tite

Very good! Thank you

proper english!

1 Like

@caramba

Yes, I second this, even as a non native English speaking person :wink:

Listening to Kirk Degiorgio comments in his tutorials is always great, you learn a lot, the right words are used and the teaching is given in a very fluid flow making his courses very pleasant to follow.

Good Stuff!!

Good introduction to the subject bur many concepts I had to research by mylself to understand

@kmila_mv

Yep, it’s definitely an “intermediate & advanced” tutorial as suggested by the course tags, that said I think it really helps to dive into this topic and Kirk Degiorgio is right on point in this one IMO.

Sorry, guess I needed a 101 loudness and metering tut instead! But after I did some research myself I managed to keep up with what Kirk was teaching

1 Like

+1 : I agree that this would be a nice addition to S.A tutorials indeed.

This was enlightening.

Great course this. Definitely helped me get that final ahhh thats where iv been going wrong lightbulb moment as a self mastering producer. Cheers Kirk :+1:

1 Like