Understanding - Mastering with Conor Dalton / 348

Thanks, everyone!

Also, you can keep up to date with me at these places:

https://www.facebook.com/glow....
https://www.facebook.com/conor...
https://twitter.com/glowcast
https://twitter.com/conordalto...
http://glowcastaudio.wordpress...

Great tutorial, and great review of some of the common techniques. One thing I would like to say is that with some of the A/B comparisons, it was mentioned that &#039you probably wont hear the difference since this is a compressed media file while over the internet&#039. Very true. In that case, why not offer a high resolution video file option with the audio encoded at 44/48khz audio non-compressed in the video file? Something like lo-res and hi-res options and/or the audio files themselves so the viewer can get the idea of what the actual differences are. I agree 100% that to really get the subtleties that mastering accomplishes and how that affects the whole balance for the intended results, you need to hear the full resolution. Also, some of the A/B comparisons were quite fast in the videos, whether it could have been heard with higher resolution might be the key, but I really had a hard time telling the difference. Lastly the audio glitches a lot this should really not be in the video, either edited out, or avoided entirely. Increasing the audio buffer size might help it groove with camera software better. Otherwise a very informative and well presented series. Keep up the good work!

Wow.. your example of compression made something click in my head! love it

Brilliant tutorial !!, I was wondering, after mastering the end product will be able to be heard properly in a CD player as well radio brodcast, normal hi Fi system , beatport, itune, etc ? or perhaps there are some technics in the mixing production process to improve that situation?, i found that some of my production where i&#039ve been very carefull about creating space sounds so well with my monitor studio or high entry studio headphones , but when i play it with my hi fi on in all stereo or ipod i loose bass and med sounds, compared to a mp3 track that i bought from e.g beatport, obviously it was mastered though

Brilliant tutorial !!, I was wondering, after mastering the end product will be able to be heard properly in a CD player as well radio brodcast, normal hi Fi system , beatport, itune, etc ? or perhaps there are some technics in the mixing production process to improve that situation?, i found that some of my production where i&#039ve been very carefull about creating space sounds so well with my monitor studio or high entry studio headphones , but when i play it with my hi fi on in all stereo or ipod i loose bass and med sounds, compared to a mp3 track that i bought from e.g beatport, obviously it was mastered though

Hi Conor, first of all, i do not know how the heck my message got repeated 3 times.
You mentioned on your intro a few condition to get mixing material, I got a bit confused with No Limiter restriction.
I learned that is advisable to add an ableton audio effect limiter on the master track with a celling of -3db, I presume the headroom that you & s. engineers work with, also there are other goodies to be added on the master track such as multiband dynamic, etc, in some sonic academic tutorials is called House Mater Chain . Can you please clarify this subject?

Hi Conor, any feedback about my questions above?

Hey pumasdaniel, sorry for the delay, I just got back from holidays. Please email me at conor@glowcast.co.uk to talk more.

rfm: good points and well and truly noted, thanks for your feedback.

@rfm thank you for the good feedback, all points are valid and i&#039ll take them on board for future videos.

Brilliant set of tutorials and information!
Thanks for these!

Great tutorial!! Many many thanks Connor

great tutorial, but why so much clicking? was it cause the video software?
that&#039s my only complaint, i mean this is about audio quality tutorial after all, would have been cooler not to have that clicking at all.

Great tutorial. I love the party goer analogies, especially for the multi-band compressor :).

it was probably due to the screen capture was on and he had two monitors driven by his graphics card - his VSTs were dragged on and off the viewport screen that we see.

It was probably due to that screen capture was on and he had two monitors driven by his graphics card - his VSTs were dragged on and off the viewport screen that we see. All that CPU for graphics and audio probably caused buffer underruns in the audio.

One of my favorites!

Informative

Valuable. Thank you!