Uplifting Trance - 1st track ever!

Hi guys,

First of all, I want to say a massive thank you to @James_Dymond for his latest Uplifting Trance tutorial ('19). I have a feeling that it would be hard to do any better than that as far as completeness and conciseness go.

I just finished putting together my very first track, following said tutorial, and am desperate for constructive feedback. Very keen on hearing from more seasoned producers about virtually anything regarding this first output, which I am very conscious is far from perfect.

https://soundcloud.com/user-941939358/audentes

Thanks in advance guys!

Main thing catching my attention in this one is the choice of synths sounds, notes & melody as well as key of the track. Not a music theory expert at all, but to me it sounds very western style music in a Major key, find it contrasting with your nice arpeggio bass line and the lower register of the track. The synths are sounding a bit cheap to me, especially in this key and register, I would try different sounds in a different key in order to bring something more emotional to the listener.

The melody is very busy as well and while you’re introducing some variations with new notes, the synths notes stay rather static across the all track. Use more modulation, play with filter cutoff and experiment with delays & reverb as well, you could have less notes creating a lot more harmonic feel and giving another dimension to the track IMHO.

Good elements in the drums and use of fills and rolls for transitions, there’s something not working with the Kick & Bass, they seem to fight for space in the same frequency range. There’s sub frequencies either in the Kick or the Bass that creates an audible rumble in the low end. Check your kick & bass to see where this is coming from. Filtering out some low end in the kick might helps, same for the bass as well as using more filter cutoff to get a thinner and shorter bass sound.

Hope this helps :wink:

1 Like