What genre do you want 'How To Make' courses on?

Would love a progressive house - Logic pro x

Kind of Cristoph oder Prydastyle.

Hello Phil! i i would really like as student of SA a course about recording and mastering trance vocals with effects and all that stuff about! ,this would be wonderful!! thank you for asking !! DJ Riccardo String

ps. Cubase DAW would be fantastic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I had two wishes, and they both combine into one suggestion - and I don’t think anyone else is doing this.

The things I struggle with most in my production:
Arrangement
Mixing

The things that I benefit from most in my learning: seeing how different producers approach things, in an ‘elements’ series.

What I’d love to see, for both arrangement and mixing, is different producers tackle the same piece, each with a time limit.

Arrangement:
A few of your top roster of producers are given an 8 bar loop with various stems - at the point where many producers struggle to turn into a full track.
They each get 90 minutes - 2 hours to flesh out the arrangement in the way they normally would. They can add new tracks.
If you did, say, an uplifting trance one, I’d love to see how the different producers approached turning an 8 bar loop into a full arrangement.
Same for a tech house one, with different producers.
I’m not talking about doing a remix. The basic ideas should be there already.

Mixing:
Same principle: provide the producers with the stems. They shouldn’t be nearly finished and ready for final showing off and polish. There should be problems, masked frequencies - the kinds of issues producers actually face.
They then get 90 minutes - 2 hours to mix the track.
It would be really great learning to see how producers take a normal track - one with issues - and handle it differently but all getting to a place they are happy with by the end.

I hope this helps Phil, and do let me know what you think about the idea!

Best wishes,

Toby.

1 Like

Hey Chris,

Having moved to Bitwig from Live and a fan of Dom Kane. I really liked Dom’s tutorials. In all fairness I’m looking for more Bitwig content, workflows, template ideas etc. Not just the usual modulator type stuff we often find. Something like Baphometrix’s deep dives on YouTube.

I appreciate it’s not the most popular DAW for electronic music… yet.

3 Likes

Hi phil,

one thing that i would like to see is, how can an impended producer handle publishing and all that. whats with rights and those kind of organizations. whats worth for us doing and not… i know its different from country to country but will get a better idea on those topics i think.

thanks

1 Like

Most of all I’ll be happy of any course with Phil & Chris together in the studio, like “Get that sound…” or “How to make…” or “Fast track build…” chapters back in the days :slight_smile: This is what really sold Sonic Academy subscription to me.

As of genres, I’d prefer some kind of hi-tech uplifting trance like Sean Tyas and colleagues (Metta & Glyde, Darren Porter) sound nowadays, I think, it’s little slower uplifting with very much of psy and other effects and evolving complex sounds. And I would like traditional uplifting trance, too. This is what interesting for me most of all, so would be interesting in-depth walkthrough of something like that.

As of DAWs, I’d prefer Bitwig (my main one) or Ableton, but with any DAW it would be interesting anyway.

Thanks for this topic, guys! Looking forward to some new stuff from your studio!

1 Like

Yep + 1 for “In House” tuts from S.A team, especially now that Phil has got the new studio up & running, would be very nice and might be interesting topics to cover including studio gears, like mixing a track with Softube Console 1.

1 Like

I would like techno and tech house courses. And it would be amazing if you could win Martin Stimming doing a tutorial.

1 Like

hi there

thanks for amazing site , love the trance courses in cubase by protoculture and akkeson ,i would really love techno courses in cubase especially drumcode label . there are a lot in ableton which i have found more difficult ,i both daws ableton and cubase but i much prefer cubase for production ,

so please please keep up the trance and more techno by drum code if possible in cubase
cheers leo

I would love to learn a bit more UK Drill. My DAW is FL Studio, but I think a concept from any DAW will help or Machine.
Thank You

MODD - DEEP HOUSE
James Lavelle (UNKLE ) - Breakbeats

Really want to learn How to make from them please!!!

Industrial Techno / EBM - in particular along the lines of Empirion. And preferably done in Ableton using ANA. Thanks

Hi!
Melodic and Deep Progressive, Melodic Techno like in the style of Sasha, Monolink, Artbat, Colyn.
DAW - Studio One or Ableton.
Thank You!

1 Like

Harrison Mixbus 32c would be awesome for sure, though I know it’s not everyone’s DAW. Dom Kane scratched the surface of it in one of it’s course, using it for stems mixing but there’s a lot more to dive in with this one.

+1 for going on with more advanced & technical courses like the ones of Protoculture & Kirk Degiorgio but I disagree with that : [quote=“kulutuu, post:13, topic:34798”]
What I don’t want is more of the courses where there’s competition involved. I’ve noticed that the courses associated with such competitions tend to be very weak and nothing more than marketing exercises.
[/quote]

Some Remix Competition courses are really high level ( like the ones from Paolo Mojo, Dom Kane, Enamour … to name a few ) and they were not focusing on gears or plugins. Actually you will be more tempted to buy plugins or packs watching more advanced & technical tutorials as mentioned before, because we can see & hear efficient & predictable results when those tools are put into right hands :wink:

Remix Competition are a real chance here on Sonic Academy, with a potential track release in the end. It’s also a good way to challenge yourself & to progress in your learning.

What I would love to see for each Remix Competition course @Sonic_Academy though, is a competition results video announcement from the tutors with some debriefing & insights about how & why they picked up the 3 winners and eventually comments on some other good mixes. In the way that you now seem to bring an introduction video for courses, which I find really nice, I think this would also add value to the Remix Competition tutorials. From memory it happened only once with a Paolo Mojo Remix Comp, would be great to see this each time.

Hi!
I would like to have some courses teaching uplifting/hard trance like Aly&Fila or Giuseppe Ottaviani style, with old stylish sounds and modern arrangement.These James Dymond courses are very helpful
More Ableton stuff, and some advanced courses about mastering
Thanks for all these techno and trance courses

Hi,

Would love to see more trance and house music with maybe use of strings put into dynamic and climatic structures (like in pop genre or classical music)
E.g.

Hex Hector club Remix: I turn to you (ft. Melanie C)
https://youtu.be/QgZvJVQ6fbg

Chris Cox Club Remix: Hurt (Christina Aguilera)
https://youtu.be/yOus7-l8qsw

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:
Denise

I’d like to see some minimal techno in the style of Boris Brejcha.

1 Like

Yep, +1 for Boris Brejcha style tuts :wink:

I would love to see some tutorials on bedroom pop on ableton live!! (Clairo, Kali Uchis, Rex Orange County, etc) and also something more Indie Folk? Something like Bon Iver’s new album would be really cool