A question for you SA dj's

can you not just get a couple of CDJs later down th line and plug them into s4 ?

Yeah I could… The thing is, I’m running on a pc, so I don’t know how stable it would be for live performances, and to go out an buy a mac just for mixing would completely throw away the price advantage of the s4 :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]FlyingYeti (30/11/2011)[hr]Yeah I could… The thing is, I’m running on a pc, so I don’t know how stable it would be for live performances, and to go out an buy a mac just for mixing would completely throw away the price advantage of the s4 :P[/quote]

I’m a PC man too (the best are - lol)

I am going to wait after xmas and buy a 17 laptop with 8 gig and never have it connected to the net - have some malware and register checking program so hopefully that will be ok

I know plenty of people who use PC’s live - sure if i had money to burn then a i may have considered a macbook but not currently as I have already sld my sons kidneys and the ex refuses too have more of my chidren for some bizare reason

Ah fair enough. Yeah my laptop is literally my only computer, so it would not run too smoothly… And I dont feel like overpaying for a more stable version of a pc that has a sh!t ton of markup because “it looks nice”…

So I’m off on the hunt for cdj’s… Recommendations?

With CDJ it depends on your budget, but the important thing to remeber is that with CDJs the skills you learn are easily transferable to other CDJs.

So if you can’t afford a pair of Pioneer CDJs, the CDJ900, or CDJ2000 or even a second hand pair of CDJ1000Mk3 then I would go for a cheap but reliable pair and learn the skills, then when you are good and love playing, go for the good pair.

These are a nice cheap option at £240 for a pair:

http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/numark-ndx200-desktop-cd-players-pair–81985

Then you just need a decent mixer. I would probably look second hand. This is what I have and it is a classic mixer, but it now is £175, you might find a cheaper one, but it is worth it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VESTAX-PCV-275-DJ-MIXER-GOOD-CONDITION-/300629755220?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item45feee0554

nice i might pick up a pair of those myself

i’ve traveled from sl’s to cdj’s to ableton (with apc40) and now stuck on traktor with S4.

I like the S4 for having a dj feel to it and the choice to use sync or not (any simply pressing sync doesn’t give the satisfaction you might presume cause of the grid, you need to grid properly to not have problems using loops and stuff)

i think the S4 is the best option for you cause you get a chance to use it and learn proper beat matching and gives you possibilities to take it a step further with grid-ding and looping controls.

Next step for dj’ing will be usb sticks and the likes of cdj 2000’s or more crossover between livePA and dj-mixing, as it is now already…

[quote]slender (30/11/2011)[hr] …and the ex refuses too have more of my chidren for some bizare reason[/quote]

LOL

I would say 80-90% of the top dj’s only use cdj 2000’s and a mixer. Like at edc, no one on the main stage had a laptop. This is for several reasons: 1) its a lot easier to just bring a usb stick and headphones 2)cdj 2000s are the industry standard, so all u will ever need is a usb stick 3)Not having to look at a laptop looks way ******* better than staring at one during your set.

Learn to beatmatch on cdj’s

Good call