Advice on start up!

Sorry bro.

It should have been in there somewhere as it’s the classic.

I’m thinking about getting an old Atari just to run the old version of Cubase :smiley:

Lol we didnt forget Cubase its just that cubase is a pile of wank… lol

Well the statement that Logic is better then Ableton is a load of crap. I use both. And I can tell you that yes, Logic sounds better then Live, but in the end, the end user cant tell the difference anyway. Ableton is renowned for its “jamming” interface where Logic is more of a traditional DAW.

In respect to the bussing, they both do the same thing, just in a different way. Ableton was built so that it does alot of the menial DAW tasks for you and runs everything behind the scenes. It does’t mean that it doesn’t do those things. Correct, it cant run dual screens (it will in the new version), no automation curves (it will in the new version), Logic does 5.1 surround (i dont give a fu(k as to I dont make movies).

ES2 sounds cold to my ears. As does Operator TBH. But the instruments that come with Abelton are amazing and are just as full featured as Logic. So you think that just because there is a spectrum analyzer built into Logics EQ makes it better or sound any different then Abletons? Are you kidding me? They both have great instruments and great effects. I personally think that Abletons are more intuitive. Logic has one of the best reverbs (space designer) I have ever heard, but Live has a filter delay, grain delay, saturator (I dont remember if Logic has it), etc.

The bottom line is who cares. What the user should do is try out a few of them and play around and see what he or she likes better. You can play with demos of just about any of the DAW’s out there. And if you cant find one, then get a cracked version and use it for two weeks. If you like it, then buy it. Im not advocating using cracked programs, but if they dont have a try before you buy program, then you dont have an option to make an informed decision.

Deadmau5 uses Logic? News to me. I dont know what Lake uses. I know the Mau5 uses Ableton (ALOT, both for live and studio), and Fruity Loops (the best piano roll EVER). He uses everything to his advantage. I know Josh Gabriel very well, and I know he uses Ableton exclusively. I know Francis Preve very well, and he uses Ableton Exclusively. Wolfgang Gartner uses Live. Skrillex uses Live. Basically, pros are making hits with Ableton Live. I think Datsik uses Fruity Loops. Why? WHO CARES!!! He makes DOPE music.

Bottom line…

Try them all and use the program that makes music making the most fun for YOU.

well i use cubase, always have done. BUT everyone i speak to whos music i really like and i really feel they have “more going on” in their tracks use ableton… soo im starting to think about using ableton for a change.

for some reason i get the feeling ableton is easier (as howie just said) for “jamming”… when im using cubase (and i consider myself very gd at using it) it all seems like such a drawn out process to do the littlest of things when i want to “jam on the fly”… not really able to do it without alot of planning before hand (which isnt conducive to jamming obviously…)

wouldnt mind your opinions on this guys

talking about what the pros use to make their big hits… dont remember seeing one pro using ableton in the FM videos…? all logic or cubase… now im confused… ahhhhh lol

[quote]howiegroove (27/03/2011)[hr]Well the statement that Logic is better then Ableton is a load of crap. I use both. And I can tell you that yes, Logic sounds better then Live, but in the end, the end user cant tell the difference anyway. Ableton is renowned for its “jamming” interface where Logic is more of a traditional DAW.

In respect to the bussing, they both do the same thing, just in a different way. Ableton was built so that it does alot of the menial DAW tasks for you and runs everything behind the scenes. It does’t mean that it doesn’t do those things. Correct, it cant run dual screens (it will in the new version), no automation curves (it will in the new version), Logic does 5.1 surround (i dont give a fu(k as to I dont make movies).

ES2 sounds cold to my ears. As does Operator TBH. But the instruments that come with Abelton are amazing and are just as full featured as Logic. So you think that just because there is a spectrum analyzer built into Logics EQ makes it better or sound any different then Abletons? Are you kidding me? They both have great instruments and great effects. I personally think that Abletons are more intuitive. Logic has one of the best reverbs (space designer) I have ever heard, but Live has a filter delay, grain delay, saturator (I dont remember if Logic has it), etc.

The bottom line is who cares. What the user should do is try out a few of them and play around and see what he or she likes better. You can play with demos of just about any of the DAW’s out there. And if you cant find one, then get a cracked version and use it for two weeks. If you like it, then buy it. Im not advocating using cracked programs, but if they dont have a try before you buy program, then you dont have an option to make an informed decision.

Deadmau5 uses Logic? News to me. I dont know what Lake uses. I know the Mau5 uses Ableton (ALOT, both for live and studio), and Fruity Loops (the best piano roll EVER). He uses everything to his advantage. I know Josh Gabriel very well, and I know he uses Ableton exclusively. I know Francis Preve very well, and he uses Ableton Exclusively. Wolfgang Gartner uses Live. Skrillex uses Live. Basically, pros are making hits with Ableton Live. I think Datsik uses Fruity Loops. Why? WHO CARES!!! He makes DOPE music.

Bottom line…

Try them all and use the program that makes music making the most fun for YOU.[/quote]

If Carlsberg made sane comments about the the whole DAW debate…

Don’t worry Howie, it’s a Brit thing and it means you’re spot on fella!

Agree with the man above :slight_smile:

[quote]jpgetty2win (27/03/2011)[hr]talking about what the pros use to make their big hits… dont remember seeing one pro using ableton in the FM videos…? all logic or cubase… now im confused… ahhhhh lol[/quote]

Yeah, everyone uses something different. The people that I mentioned, I know personally and that is what they use. I know Sander too and he uses Logic. So its really up to the user.

But to your other question… There is nothing wrong with using both. I would look into rewiring Live into Cubase. If you cant do that, then there is nothing wrong with sketching your ideas into Ableton and finishing in Cubase. Believe it or not, its a common practice to get ideas in one DAW and then finish them in another. Because all DAWs have their own strengths.

[quote]jpgetty2win (27/03/2011)[hr]talking about what the pros use to make their big hits… dont remember seeing one pro using ableton in the FM videos…? all logic or cubase… now im confused… ahhhhh lol[/quote]

Well, to be honest, what most professionals use in the studio is ProTools–but that doesn’t mean it’s the best DAW (it’s just the first one to get adopted).

Also, Armin (definitely a pro) mentions using Ableton Live and then moving tracks over to ProTools for mastering (see 1:27 mark in video below).

Heeeey kerel! nice name you have there, groetjes! :smiley:

1 Like

this is an oldie topic thats for sure!