Ana2 v0.98 Studio One + Cubase issue --> Only VST2 or VST3 plugin instead of both

Not sure if this has to do with Studio One or ANA 2 latest and the VST3, just think it was a good idea to point the devs at it so they can check if there’s anything wrong comparing to Node :wink:

The problem unfortunately also occurs with Cubase, both under macOS Catalina and Big Sur.

What version are you running?

This is still happening with v2.0.98, tried here in Studio One and only ANA 2 AU + VST3 plugins will show up in the plugin list after a default install. If users don’t manually move or delete the VST 3 plugin then they don’t have access to VST 2 anymore.

In comparison, it’s working fine with Node, so could be something wrong or missing in plist files or similar.

1 Like

v2.0.98

So it seems this is by design

Cubase / Studio One will replace the VST2 with the VST3 if it exists - both in your menu selection also if it detects it in a project.

So if both the VST2 and VST3 are installed, it will use the VST3 by default.

So this is only a problem if your projects are saying “cannot find ANA 2” but I don’t believe this is the case here?

1 Like

Hi Bryan I don’t think that’s the case because I have numerous plugs where VST2 & VST3 versions both show in the plugin browser for Studio One

it depends on whether the plugin manufacturers have enabled it.
we have it enabled here to take advantage of the feature.

the only issue is if your projects aren’t opening and replacing ANA 2 with the VST3
If that is the case let me know as we have a beta version here you can try out.

But the current way it works is that if both the VST2 and VST3 are available to the DAW, and the feature is enabled, then the DAW will load up the VST3.

1 Like

I see, that makes more sense

This is the main issue for me, I have some older projects with the VST2 and it’s coming up as plugin not available instead of loading the VST3 so for now I’ve reverted to just having the VST2 installed to avoid the problem

1 Like

@Digivolt

Would you be able to point out which version of ANA 2 those previous projects were using and what’s your OS & setup BTW → Win / MacOS → OS version ??

@maschinenwart

Interestingly, there’s indeed differences between plugins manufacturers and this " preferred VST3 over VST(2) " behaviour as explained by Bryan and this is the correct one we should expect if the developers took advantage of this VST3 feature.

So just to clarify this for other users getting confused, not seeing both VST(2) and VST 3 available is CORRECT, this is not a bug and ANA 2 v2.0.98 works as expected in this regard.

Like Bryan mentioned, the real issue is if you’re unable to reopen previous projects using ANA 2 Vst(2)

I did the following test on my end ( check the vid below ) :

• Manual & complete uninstall v2.0.98
  • Clean install of v2.0.94
  • Create & save a S1 project with 2 instances of ANA2 using vst(2) v2.0.94
  • Update ANA 2 to latest v2.0.98 to enable VST 3 support.
  • Re-open the previous vst(2) v2.0.94 S1 project :

—> Working as expected on my end, both instances of ANA 2 vst(2) were automatically replaced with VST 3.

( Tested under MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra with Studio One v5 latest )

Whatever version was the latest prior to this one, Win10 Professional 10.0.19042

1 Like

@Digivolt

OK, so I’ve been testing this on Windows 10 Pro on my end.

However I had no issue to re-open older Studio One Projects and got the same expected behavior than described above & shown in the video under MacOS.

For all the following scenarios I was always able to re-open older Studio One projects created & saved using previous instances of ANA 2 VST(2) plugins. Those projects opens without issue, with presets & settings recall as well as the vst(2) getting automatically replaced with VST3.

So I wonder what could be causing this issue on your end beside Win 10 Pro version and system specs differences as well as your own Studio One projects.

Here’s my setup :

• Win 10 Pro version 20H2 - OS Build 19042.985
  • Up to date Studio One 5 version 5.2.1.64495

Tested the following scenarios :

• Uninstalled ANA 2 v2.0.98 ( running the uninstaller + manual uninstall ).
  • Clean v2.0.94 installation
  • New S1 Project ( same as on the Mac - 2 Instances of ANA 2 - Same factory library presets ).

→ saved the vst(2) v2094 Project

• Run latest ANA 2 v2.0.98 installer to enable VST 3 support.

→ Previous vst(2) v2094 Project re-opens in S1 with no issue : VST 3 replace vst(2) as expected.

Did the same to test with v2.0.97 :

• Uninstalled ANA 2 v2.0.98 ( running the uninstaller + manual uninstall ).
  • Clean v2.0.97 installation
  • New S1 Project ( same as on the Mac - 2 Instances of ANA 2 - Same factory library presets ).

→ saved the vst(2) v2097 Project

• This time before running the latest update, I also tried to re-open my previous vst(2) v2094 Project with ANA 2 v2.0.97 installed → Same results : projects re-opens fine, no issue, VST 3 replaces vst(2).

• Run latest ANA 2 v2.0.98 installer and tried to re-open both projects :

→ Previous vst(2) v2094 Project re-opens in S1 with no issue : VST 3 replace vst(2) as expected.
→ Previous vst(2) v2097 Project re-opens in S1 with no issue : VST 3 replaces vst(2) as expected.

Here’s an archive with both v2094 and v2097 S1 Projects for you to test, can you open those with latest ANA 2 v2.0.98 installed on your PC or are you also running into issues with those projects ? Thanks.

S1 Test Projects.rar (36.1 KB)

I’ve sent you a PM with a BETA version for windows if you could replace the vst3 for me with the one i’ve sent and try reopening your older projects to see if you get the issue still

1 Like

Hi Bryan I’ve tried with that beta version and same result, with both VST3 & 2 in the correct folders, the VST3 takes priority and stops the VST2 from being found, if I remove the VST3 then the VST2 is found.

No idea what’s doing this my end because Node works perfectly fine with both being available (I just usually hide the VST2 in studio one browser if VST3 is available)

@Tekalight if I’m reading what you said correctly (sorry it’s late and I’m sleepy but it’s the first time I’ve had chance to get at desktop to test) both projects are saved with VST2 Ana2 ? They’re both opening fine with the VST3 Ana2, it seems to just be my own projects where it’s not automatically changing.

It’s not a ground breaking issue because I basically went into my old projects while just the VST2 was installed and bounced them to audio, it will create issues if I ever decide to transform back to instrument but that’s probably not likely

I’ve cleared the project so just the ANA2 channel remains and uploaded it so you can see if the behaviour is the same ?Ana2testDigivolt.song (203.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi

The BETA wasn’t going to change the behaviour of seeing the VST2 and VST3 separately - as mentioned this is a feature enabled and is working like this by design.

The BETA i sent was for you to check if your older projects open ok - and successfully swap the VST2 in your projects with the VST3. i.e. you don’t get an error when opening your older projects.

• just to follow up, i believe we can reproduce the error and have identified the issue, it appears to be a bug with Studio One
2 Likes

Hi guys !! I had the same kind of problem that I thought in the begining ! I think maybe its related to this topic !

I using windows 10 pro, Ana 2 v,98, studio one v5.2

So I had to change computer because my session where too big and pc too old. I went to save my session by disabling multiple vst like Ana 2, kontakt etc… I finally managed to install everything back but when I open back my session in studio one, everything load up Kontakt etc… but with Ana 2 i try to enable it and nothing happenned like the vst is not installed or enabled… So I try your method to delete the vst3 from the folder so now studio one see vst2 of Ana but still nothing can be enabled ???

Very strange problem !! And when I load an other Ana on a new track it works perfectly !! Not sure if its studio one or Ana problem !!

Thanks for the helpppp !

Hi there @Fderamond

What I would suggest is to perform a manual uninstall of ANA 2

• The guide isn’t up to date, it’s missing the path to remove the VST 3 plug-in, here it is, so don’t forget to delete the .vst3 file as well :wink:

WIN Path for the VST 3 : C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3 remove ANA2 x64.vst3

MacOS Path for the VST 3 : Your MAC HDD DRIVE/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 remove ANA2.vst3

Then reboot your PC and make a new installation with a fresh download of the v2.0.98 ANA 2 installer from you account but SKIP and DON’T INSTALL the VST3 when running the installer.

Then try to open your previous project again and report back. It might still not work ( already been reported in previous post by Digivolt ) but for now it’s better not installing the VST 3 plug-in if you’re using Studio One. We believe that there’s an issue on their end and latest 5.3 update doesn’t bring any change to this.

Cheers !

Hi There !!! I just try exactly what you just told me and unfortunately it doesnt work ! Same message this plugin is disabeled and when I try to enable it nothing happen ! I hope they will fix this soon… its kind of annoying since I forgot to save the presets in ANA … Lesson learn but all the other VST work when enable it very very strange BUG !

Anyway thanks for the follow up and if you have some news keep me update it !

1 Like

Hi there
I had exactly the same issue were ANA 2 vst 3 was coming up on studio one and when i loaded a song made with the vst 2 version it said it couldn’t be found.
So i went into file explorer Program files/common files and vst 3 file.
deleted Ana vst 3 and closed it up.
loaded up studio one and vst 2 comes up.
it solved my issue

1 Like

Welcome to the forums first of ! :wink:

Seems to be only happening with Studio One and the way they have implemented a feature to take advantage of VST3 over VST2 when available.

The expected behavior should be that the VST3 plugin should automatically replace the VST2 plugin when you’re re-opening a previous project that was using the VST2 if both plugins are installed.

The plugin code itself allows this, but it’s not working inside Presonus Studio One and AFAIK they keep saying it’s an issue on the developer side, so kind of a loop here I’m afraid.

To sum this up and best things to do :

• If you’re re-opening a previous Studio One Project that was using the VST 2 you need to move the VST3 plugin file before if both plugins are installed.

• If you’re working on a new project and have both VST2 and VST3 plugins installed, you will only see the VST 3 plugin inside Studio One, which is the expected behavior.

Other DAWs ( i.e → Bitwig Studio ) allows to disable this “VST 3 takes advantage over VST 2” feature in their settings, but it’s not the case with Studio One, hence the need to move/remove the VST 3.