Best Plugin Synths in 2010

[quote]J.HiZ (07/02/2011)[hr]Nexus is amazing. probably the reason why it’s not as high as Sylenth1 and Massive is because it can’t be pirated and there is no demo version… haha! Either way, it is more than worth your money![/quote]

I dont think its that. I think its because Nexus isnt really a synth. Its just a bunch of presets you can mess with. There isnt anything in nexus where you can like, initialize a preset and just start from zero… unless of course i completely missed that part of it this past year… but i doubt it!

also the pirated thingy is def not right… i had read somewhere before nexus was like #1 pirated synth…

on a side note… the dcam synths are still my favorite.

[quote]robo (08/02/2011)[hr]what, no pro-53 or genesis? loljk[/quote]

The Pro-53 is great, but they discontinued it 2 years ago. So that is probably why it isn’t on the list.

Is the Genesis the one they gave away on Computer Music? I’ve not tried it, is it good? If not, what is it?

Oh, I voted Massive. Not so much because I think it is better, just because it is the one I use. 

it really is great for lennar digital they seem to win these sorta things time and time again. I was surprised by Massive at no2, its an alright synth dont get me wrong but i just think Nexus is much better.

Well I think Massive fame is really down to the dubsteppers vst of choice

[quote]jjdejong0 (09/02/2011)[hr]it really is great for lennar digital they seem to win these sorta things time and time again. I was surprised by Massive at no2, its an alright synth dont get me wrong but i just think Nexus is much better.[/quote]

yah im pretty sure you think nexus is better cause you make trance :w00t::wink: shocker!

massive has a different sound to it then all the other synths. and the modulation stuff that you can do with massive will own nexus any day of the week. Sylenth is sweet for the different modulation options, but you are seriously limited in the types of oscillators that you can use. Massive has so many different oscillator options. it is the reason that you can get sounds out of it that you can’t from other synths.

doesn’t massive kill your cpu’s though? i don’t have it but i heard that it does.

[quote]willidaniel (09/02/2011)[hr]doesn’t massive kill your cpu’s though? i don’t have it but i heard that it does.[/quote]

yah i definitely notice a cpu boost from massive compared to sylenth.

[quote]UnitedVision (08/02/2011)[hr][quote]J.HiZ (07/02/2011)[hr]Nexus is amazing…it is more than worth your money![/quote]

I dont think its that. I think its because Nexus isnt really a synth. Its just a bunch of presets you can mess with. There isnt anything in nexus where you can like, initialize a preset and just start from zero… unless of course i completely missed that part of it this past year… but i doubt it!

also the pirated thingy is def not right… i had read somewhere before nexus was like #1 pirated synth…

[/quote]

So I bought Nexus2 (as recommended in the original John O’Callahan HTMT Trance tutorial) and some Trance sounding expansions like Classic Trance and Omicron3. The videos use it for pads and basses and I find it sounds pretty good–though with more noise than Sylenth1. However, while I can’t tweak Oscillators, I do have ARDS envelopes that I can tweak as well as cutoff and resonance (which I found greatly changes the sound).

I don’t know about you but, I’m ok with that because I don’t want to have to start at zero with a sawtooth or a sine wave for every single track I use in Live.

And while I can tweak a lot of FX in Nexus2 (like delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser, ensemble, degrader, distortion, analog phaser, st enhancer, ring modulator, gate, and compressor), like the HTMT videos show some of these fx sound better when applied in Live or with a third party like UHBIK.

As I said, I notice a lot of white noise on the preset sounds in Nexus2–probably a personal preference but I don’t want all my voices to be noisy.

Also—I forgot the USB eLicense dongle on a trip and Live crashed every time I tried to open a Live Set that used Nexus2 on it–I think the lesson there is to freeze track and bounce the sound into simpler if you use Nexus2.

As far a worth the money–well if I had it over to do again, I’d just get the base program w/o the expansions. It sounds fine and there are a lot of Trance and Dance elements to work with.

My next two VST purchases will be Nexus 2 and V-station.

You know Novation bundles all their software for free with the Nocturn keyboards. I got V-Station, Bass Station, Automap Pro, and their fx bundle for about the price of one plug-in.

Personally, I’m thinking of putting it up on craigslist though, because I like Sylenth1 and Urs Heckman’s UHBIK better—but to each their own :wink:

[quote]lattetown (15/02/2011)[hr]You know Novation bundles all their software for free with the Nocturn keyboards. I got V-Station, Bass Station, Automap Pro, and their fx bundle for about the price of one plug-in.

Personally, I’m thinking of putting it up on craigslist though, because I like Sylenth1 and Urs Heckman’s UHBIK better—but to each their own ;-)[/quote]

Just checked put the Nocturn Keyboard. Not in the market for a keyboard just yet. But thanks for the tip! I’ve been using Sylenth 1 and love although I can never get a pad sounding really like the way I want it in sylenth.

You almost have to feel out what kind of productions you make to determine the VST you buy. My next keyboard purchase will be the access virus…i know… big money!!! But it fits perfectly with my style of music TRANCE!!

[quote]willidaniel (15/02/2011)…I’ve been using Sylenth 1 and love although I can never get a pad sounding really like the way I want it in sylenth.[/quote]

That’s interesting–so are looking for more ambient sounding pads, or retro sounding, or something else?

I hear you about hardware…though I’ve never heard a real virus–just samples through Omnisphere.

Personally, I’m a big Roland fan, but not sure I want something pure-hardware now that I have my MacBook Pro and Live 8. I’m kinda lusting after the GAIA–in fact they’re supposed to be releasing a VST interface to it in a few months. Sometimes less is more. :-p In the states if you order from B&H [url]gaia | B&H Photo Video they’ll give you a gift certificate to cover the cost of the software. I see Novation also has the UltraNova to compete with the Gaia–call me old school, but I have to say I really love the Roland sound.

i’ve been lucky enough to play around a bit on an access virus. it’s a beast!!! but by the time i’m ready to buy it will be the same time i’m ready to deal with it.

looking for more ambient airy type pads. believe it or not i found that i could get some nice warm pads working in reason.

looking closely at alchemy VST too!! if Phil and the boys do a lot more tuts on that one who knows.

you like Roland? why? what’s good?? just curious.

[quote]willidaniel (16/02/2011)…looking for more ambient airy type pads. believe it or not i found that i could get some nice warm pads working in reason.

…you like Roland? why? what’s good?? just curious.[/quote]

Have you checked out Omnisphere?

I love the pads in there (nice sweeps, evolving ambient feel)–little heavy on the CPU, but you can do a lot of layers in one track.

I don’t know what it is about the Roland sound that makes me want to jam so much with their keyboards. I have a ten y/o XP-30 which was a modular cousin of the JV-80–I love the leads and pads (and it has the full TR-909 kit in it). I love the feel of the semi-weighted keys–they work either doing percussive fingering or nice portamento-synth slides. Rolands have been used in electronica and dance music since the beginning so they kinda capture a sound I like.

Even Omnisphere has some great Roland synth samples in it: VP-330, Jupiter-8, Juno, JD-800, JX-10.

Personally, I think some of the other synths sound thin (like yamaha, novation, korg). Again, haven’t played with a virus–so don’t know. Dave smith’s stuff sound amazing, but I really don’t want to start from scratch and work that hard for every single track.

I’ve seen quite a bit on Omnisphere but not sure where it will fit in in my productions. My budget now is to buy Nexus 2 (with trance bundle) in the next few days due to it being a trance synth not because what I’ve heard but what i’ve researched. Same with Novation. Got the Novation demo and very impressed with it’s unique sound. May not be a big time synth but it has it’s own sound. Love it on basses.

By you having Omisphere is it an easy synth to get around on? I saw a list of the Omnisphere presets WOW! It would take somebody two days to go through all of them.

What have you made with Omnisphere other than pads that you’ve liked? Leads? Everything?? Tell me more about it if you don’t mind. Thanks!!

Well I am working on some tracks using Omnisphere now (but don’t feel they’e ready to put out yet) :stuck_out_tongue:

IT’s very easy to use–though haven’t dug into all the tweeking options. YouTube has some good videos on how to work with the synth engine like this one:

[url]Diego Stocco Omnisphere Masterclass Teaser - YouTube

Right now I love the pads, vocal samples, and effects–it’s funny I tend to use leads from Sylenth1 and my Roland right now and basses from Urs Heckman’s Ace.

I also got Nexus and 6 expansions, and I wish I had just started with the base program–it’s got plenty of trance elements to play with.

Have you checked out the Omnisphere contest winners video? I shows off what Omnipshere can do:

[url]http://www.spectrasonics.net/omnisphere_teaser/episode_07_small.html[/url]