ANA 2 Bug Report : Some notes would hang when Macro 1 modulates Filter 1 Freq and then Mod Wheel modulates Macro 1

Hey guys, I have ANA 2 from Sonic Academy but I have the Slate All Access Pass too.

After update with all access pass Slate Connect, now my ANA2 is very strange.

I’m on Mac Catalina Ableton Live 11

Tried VST2 VST3 and AU, all of them very erratic, specially on the Absolute Arp preset after turn off the arp and chord memory, it wont’play chords.

Can you check at your end?

Thanks in advance

JB

Just checked in Logic 10.6.3 and the problem is there too

Absolute Arp Preset.

Turn off chord and arp

Start to make some chords

Open the filter with mod wheel

Pls can you check?

Thanks again

Hey there @jobkey

Not sure what you mean by “very erratic” plugins behavior here, could you try to explain what’s happening.

Also been testing the ANA 2 Factory preset “Absolute Arp” here and I’m not having issues with it. Also if you turn the ( CMD ) Chord Memory Device OFF then of course you’ll have to play the chords manually yourself, same goes with the ARP, if it’s turned off : no sequencer playback then of course.

A video would help to understand what exactly is happening on your end.

That’s the problem
Thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/vB9F2U0RDII

1 Like

Thanks for the video… certainly looks like odd behaviour… could you try going in to settings and turn off poly legato retrigger if it’s on…

Also try turning of Slide on bottom left to see if that helps.

Feels like the midi might be triggering a feedback loop which is cutting off keys or something…

Does this happen when you record and play back midi from a track or just when live playing?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the video @jobkey

What version are you using now ? This was reported with 2.0.98, have you updated to latest v2.0.992 since ?

Actually, if you own both Sonic Academy and Slate Digital versions, latest available version is the v2.0.993 beta, you can install this one on top of your existing installation, you’ll keep your SD presets.

My Account / My Downloads / Plugins

@phil_johnston I can’t replicate this with v2.0.993 here, though I’m using LPX 10.4.8 and MacOS 13.6.

Hopefully the HD render of the vid is ready on YouTube now

Edit : Also tried in Live 11 with all 3 plugins instances AU / VST2 / VST3 and could not reproduce this issue here.

Thanks for the answer and the video Takelight,
it looks to me that you’re are facing the same issue but it’s hiding because of the filter closed. It happens to me too, you have to open full modulation wheel to experiment the problem,
Since the version when I reported, every update since it shows the same problem. I’m on 2.992s oct 21
I will try the beta and report

1 Like

Thanks Phil.
For sure, it feels like it, but it’s nothing to do with MIDI. It’s on the engine for sure. Double checked it
Take a look on this other video and see for yourself on the individual notes it’s all ok, but when play chords, not.
The event list shows that any event are duplicated.
It’s inside the plugin.

btw, turne off the slide and checked the poly legato retrigger, it is off

could you check please chods playing with the modulation wheel 100% open, close it and open again and play something like the chords on my last video for ex. Thanks in advance

I found something interesting.
This patch has the Mod Whell modulating Macro 1 that is modulating filter parameters.
If you load the patch and then turn off the chord and arp, and then open filter, it’s all fine
Even if after this you open the mod whell

But if you load the patch and then turn off the chord and arp and after this you open the mod wheel before anything else, then the problem comes, so I found it’s related to the way Mod Wheel is modulating things, could be a bug when it assign to macro 1 or macros or anything like this

Edit : Yeah, I was also looking into this Macro 1, I’m just reading your last reply now.

Hmm, I tried with the Modulation Wheel and yes, in this case I’m also having this resonance from the filter adding to the sound, but then it always happens : with the CMD & ARP enable or not and on single notes as well, I do not have to play a chord.

It seems to me that the amount of MACRO 1 “Mod Wheel Me” in this patch is causing this, can you try to reduce this ?

Could you please drop a Midi file here in order to have the same playback for comparison ?

Also, I’m trying to get a correct step by step to reproduce this :

by " and then open filter" → do you mean the main Filter 1 Res. Cutoff ?

To my understanding this patch implies the following modulations :

• Mod Wheel modulates Macro 1 which modulates this Filter 1 Res. Cutoff

The Macro 1 Modulation amount is relative to the filter 1 res. cutoff value and when you load this patch, the Filter 1 Res. Cutoff is set to zero ( knob completely turned left ), if you open the Filter 1 Res. Cutoff to the right, then the Mod Wheel and Macro 1 are now modulating Filter 1 Freq. Cutoff but starting from this new value you’re setting when manually opening the filter.

Ultimately, if you fully open Filter 1 freq. Cutoff to far right, then the Mod Wheel would have no effect at all since there’s nothing to modulate because the value is already at it’s maximum ??

Not sure, but looks more like something in the patch itself than a bug.

All of that said, it’s late, my mind isn’t that sharp anymore and I’m definitely not the best when it comes to synthesis :smile:

I’ll check this again tomorrow and ask more to Phil, maybe I got this wrong :blush:

Edit : about the voices count you mentioned in your 1st video, this patch is using the 3 Wavetable OSC as follow :

Osc 1 : 4 voices
Osc 2 : 4 voices
Osc 3 : 3 voices

Add to this 1 voice for Sampler Osc 4

So playing a single note triggers 12 voices, 2 notes 24 voices , a 3 notes chord 36 voices…etc.

I made another video showing the problem and my conclusions based on what I could test at my end

I’ll post a midi file of this same video

Hope we can fix it soon

Any help will be welcome @phil_johnston @Tekalight
Thanks again for all your support

JB

btw, I put all these videos in Not Listed State so the youtube only show it for anyone that has a link.
If we have to promote things about ANA, that be how good it is and how good it sounds, not the casual problems :slight_smile:

Ana 2 Prob Solver JB.mid (2.7 KB)

https://youtu.be/Hw5WVK3TnSU

1 Like

Thanks for the new video as well as the Midi file.

So yes, there might be something wrong happening when Macro 1 is assigned to Filter 1 Freq: and then the Mod Wheel is assigned to Macro 1.

The Filter Master Freq: ( the filter knob you’re opening in this latest video ) isn’t involved, you’re getting the same results because there’s only 1 filter used for this patch.

Phil let me know he was able to replicate your issue, this will be looked into by the developers.

I have updated the post title as well.

Thank you again for reporting this :wink:

The forums are on public access ( for reading only, not posting ), so anyone can watch the video but there’s no problem with this, and this is a very good example of end users feedback and being part of the community. There’s a long road between lines of codes and a released plug-in, so end user feedback is much appreciated, thanks again.

Just to add quickly… if you want the same behaviour you can just assign modwheel to filter directly. It’s just the macro connect that has the issue.