Can anyone recommend a good hardware synth?

What do you want to do with it? Kinda hard to recommend anything without knowing what you have/use already. Just don’t expect anything to perform miracles…if you can’t get the sounds you want out of VST’s then you’re probably not going to get them out of any hardware synth.

Trust me…it can easily become an expensive lesson!

oh…and I’m not anti-hardware…if there was any money in this game then I’d buy all the toys!! :smiley:

try using the search function at the top. Here are some of the results. Hope this helps…

[url]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic48941-8-1.aspx#bm48978[/url]

[url]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic39479-8-1.aspx#bm39518[/url]

[url]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic35963-8-1.aspx#bm36008[/url]

[quote]Banksay (01/03/2011)[hr]What do you want to do with it? Kinda hard to recommend anything without knowing what you have/use already. Just don’t expect anything to perform miracles…if you can’t get the sounds you want out of VST’s then you’re probably not going to get them out of any hardware synth.

Trust me…it can easily become an expensive lesson!

oh…and I’m not anti-hardware…if there was any money in this game then I’d buy all the toys!! :smiley:

[/quote]

Hi,

I like using hardware as opposed to vst’s and I’d like something that can produce a broad range of sounds. I already have a microkorg mk1 and until recently I owned a novation supernova (which I sold due to the fact I didn’t really like its dated sound).

I’m not after miracles, I know that it takes time to learn the programming to get the best out of your synth…I’m just after some recommendations of synths that are quite versitle and can work with a wide range of genres, the new microkorg xl seems to do that pretty well with sounds ranging from decent pianos to dirty warbling basses…just wondered if any others fit the bill?

Cheers.

I think I am gunna buy a Little Phatty Stage 2 edition today.

Nice. Not cheap though…

[quote]

Hi,

I like using hardware as opposed to vst’s and I’d like something that can produce a broad range of sounds. I already have a microkorg mk1 and until recently I owned a novation supernova (which I sold due to the fact I didn’t really like its dated sound).

I’m not after miracles, I know that it takes time to learn the programming to get the best out of your synth…I’m just after some recommendations of synths that are quite versitle and can work with a wide range of genres, the new microkorg xl seems to do that pretty well with sounds ranging from decent pianos to dirty warbling basses…just wondered if any others fit the bill?

Cheers.

[/quote]

No worries mate…prob shouldn’t have assumed your expectations :wink:

Maybe look at something analogue to compliment your Korg…DSI’s tetra is around the £500 mark…

Tetra looks pretty cool. Thanks.

waldorf blofeld. relatively inexpensive and has and massive sound you really can make any sound with this bad boy. vst editors available so you can edit via computer if you want

juno 106. classic fat analogue synth

moog little phatty. modern classic. :wink:

i would be looking at these man!

[quote]Mussi81 (01/03/2011)[hr]waldorf blofeld. relatively inexpensive and has and massive sound you really can make any sound with this bad boy. vst editors available so you can edit via computer if you want

juno 106. classic fat analogue synth

moog little phatty. modern classic. :wink:

i would be looking at these man![/quote]

Yeah I checked out a lot of blofeld vids and demos but everything seemed to be either trancy stuff or soundscapes, which put me off a little.

Depends what sorta music you are wanting to make with it. I personally reccomend the JP8000 and the Yamaha An1x. These are very trancy synths tho so it all depends on the style your into.

What style music are you doing? (sound like you don’t like trance)

MFB Kraftzwerg is a German built modular hardware synth for those on a budget–if you like Dave Smith’s Tetra & Mopho you might like their stuff as well.

Looks mental!

I actually went for the MicroKorg XL in the end…should be waiting for me when I get home. I’ll post my thoughts on it if anyone’s interested?

Cheers for all the suggestions. :slight_smile:

and i got my lil phatty!:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]UnitedVision (09/03/2011)[hr]and i got my lil phatty!:P[/quote]

Yep Roben told me :wink:

I’ve been pretty much in love with the MFB Kraftzwerg (maybe I should get out more)

[quote]slender (09/03/2011)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (09/03/2011)[hr]and i got my lil phatty!:P[/quote]

I’ve been pretty much in love with the MFB Kraftzwerg (maybe I should get out more)[/quote]

i was looking at this and synth ii the other day. also like the look of the mopho and the tetra.

i was thinking of the little phatty but it seems everyone else is getting one so might not

[quote]Mussi81 (09/03/2011)[hr][quote]slender (09/03/2011)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (09/03/2011)[hr]and i got my lil phatty!:P[/quote]

I’ve been pretty much in love with the MFB Kraftzwerg (maybe I should get out more)[/quote]

i was looking at thisand synth ii the other day. also like the look of the mopho and the tetra.

i was thinking of the little phatty but it seems everyone else is getting one so might not[/quote]

My opinion and no offence to anyone who has one but I think the morpho sounds a little weak to me - there is just something I can’t put into words but its just not for me

the lil phatty is so loud. the filers are so crisp. i’ve been sitting here for days with jeremiah messing with sounds. i love the arpeggiator. its got great LFO control on it…

its definitely gunna give us some crazy dubstep sounds.

I love the phatty with the CV input for additional uses. I havnt had a chance to do anything with it yet. but im gunna get some of the extras like a fogger eventually.

i’ll post a pic here eventually…

i posted this in the studio thread… but whatever I want my post count to go up.

the newest member of the family…

and the other room… (side note. I didnt let the gimp out of the box in the corner for the photo)

I’ll be honest that little phatty looks fat :slight_smile:

[quote]electric eric (09/03/2011)[hr]Looks mental!

I actually went for the MicroKorg XL in the end…should be waiting for me when I get home. I’ll post my thoughts on it if anyone’s interested?

Cheers for all the suggestions. :)[/quote]

Microkorg XL is awesome . i have one too and its have really nice sounds