Feedback for a new track!

Hey all! I finished up a new track and I would love to receive all the feedback possible about it. I started producing around 6 months ago so I’m so new in this world! This would help me so much growing. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi there @returnnull

Seriously 6 months producing only ? :wink:
Well then it’s really good work done for such a short time, congrats.

Apart from the choice of sounds and the tonal register of the track that I find a bit too much in the highs and missing some lo end & deeper bass feel, and this is purely subjective to my liking BTW, nothing to do with doing it wrong :wink: you did a good job both in track arrangement & progression as well as mixing/mastering.

Is this a self mastered track or did you send it to someone or used an online mastering service like Landr ?

Anyway, good work, keep it on :slight_smile:

Included below is a DR Offline Meter stat report, showing Dynamic range, RMS & Peaks value after download from Soundcloud. You’re reaching commercial track DR & RMS levels without clipping too much, glad you didn’t push this one further, loud doesn’t mean good. It’s a good habit to leave - 1 dB of headroom ( True Peak ) when uploading to Soundcloud because the peaks will increase once the file has been transcoded. Also a good choice to upload in FLAC format, best one when available, even if it takes more time & size.

avanti_master_v3.1.flac_dr.txt (735 Bytes)

Also passing the file true Mastering The Mix Expose, you’re reaching good loudness levels as report by the LUFS values in the screenshot, good work again. If you’re not familiar with Expose, there’s a course here on Sonic Academy How To Use Mastering The Mix - EXPOSE with Rory Webb | Tutorial 01 - Overview

Hope this helps,
Cheers !

1 Like

Hey @Tekalight!

First of all thank you so much for the feedback! I really really appreciate it :slight_smile: also the analysis you posted is amazing! I never thought of checking these values, I’m only going with my feelings and hear for now. But I’ll definitely start using them, as well as Expose! Seems an truly useful tool. Do you know if something like this exists integrated for Ableton as well? Would be handy to do everything with just one software

Regarding the mixing and the mastering yes, has been done by me! Glad you like it :slight_smile: I’m really interested in the topic though, especially mixing wise. Whenever I listen other artists I’m always so amazed by how clear the sounds are and everything is balanced perfectly. I’m following now an online course of mixing to learn that better, can’t wait to apply what I’m seeing to my next track

One last question: which genre would you define this song?

Thank you again!

1 Like

Well talking about Expose, you can get it for free from Plugin Boutique with any purchase until the end of the month ( so last days running now :wink: ) , and Expose is a standalone application, your render your Mix from your DAW to an audio file and you can then open Expose and drag & Drop your audio file onto the app & it will analyze it according to a target profile : Soundcloud, Spotify…etc.

Nothing native in Ableton to achieve this, some plugins like Nugen Mastercheck also exist to work in your Daw, but very pricey and your still working pre-rendering your audio file, so it’s a step before. Check for LUFS Meters plugins, useful measurement to learn about, and get a proper FFT Meter too, the free Span from Voxengo is a good one and the latest version will give you LUFS metering too.

There’s also a very good course on Sonic Academy by UK Techno Legend Kirk Degiorgio himself Understanding Loudness and Metering with Kirk Degiorgio | Tutorial 01 - Plug-in Gain Staging Metering Device

You should consider a subscription to S.A IMO, just saying … :wink:

As for the genre of this track, you could probably make it fit inside the Melodic Techno genre, the problem being the choice of sounds and tonal balance with the synths, the beat is definitely matching a Techno track, but the synths sounds a bit chill/pop & synthwave, so it’s hard to put this one in a box I think. That’s also why I was expecting a track a bit darker in the overall tonality as mentioned in my first comment.

Cheers !

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the tips again! I’ll def check everything out :slight_smile:

Genre-wise, also very interesting what you say! :slight_smile: I had other people saying the same thing. I generally listen to melodic techno and I wanted my music to be in that genre but then I started producing and I only go with my ears and my feelings and those are the sounds that come out. So I guess I’m doing some kind of happy melodic techno ahah

Thank you!

1 Like