Getting samples cleared

I thought really old music was ok?

When they re-did ‘Adagio for Strings’, i didn’t think they needed to ‘clear’ that as it was originally a classic piece?

:unsure:

Re-singing is technically a new performance.  There are set royalty rates in most countries for releasing a cover version.

There is no 4-second rule, unless we’re talking about food dropped on the floor.  A substantial part is something that is recogniseable - one word from hendrix could be a substantial part.  It’s a qualitative analysis.

If you want to use a piece of classical music you might find an old 38 that was recorded more than 70 years ago.  Mechanical and performance copyright is generally either life of the engineer plus 50 or 70 years, depending where you are.  Or date of publication of recording plus 50 years.  I can’t remember this exactly, but if any one wants me to check it - let me know.

With classical music I generally get the score and then punch it into my sequencer.

For example here’s what I did with bits of Mozart’s Requiem

http://www.multifader.com/trax/Requiem.mp3

[quote]roben (24/08/2010)[hr]I thought really old music was ok?

When they re-did ‘Adagio for Strings’, i didn’t think they needed to ‘clear’ that as it was originally a classic piece?

:unsure:[/quote]

if they found an original performance then fine they probably didn’t have to clear the samples, it was composed in the 1930’s so if it was recorded in 1930 then the sample would be out side the 50 year window however if it was a later performance that the sample was taken from you may have problems. this is why its best to know where all your samples come from and always have copies of the original material.

There is also the fact that no producer (to my knowledge) in recent years has been sued for a sample used in a house record and many people would not bother casing you through court to claim maybe a couple of hundred pounds from you.

I say if it sounds good use it and worry about it when you need to.