Hardware synth...which one?

Im looking to buy a hardware synth & im not sure what to go for.

Im currently using Logic & Live with NI synths/ RP predator / Suboombass / Korg M1 plugins.

Im producing deep house / slo mo / disco kinda stuff.

Any ideas? Obviously I want something which lends itself to the genres Im working with.

Cheers:)

Korg M1 or Nord Lead

Honestly mate do as much research you possibly can before you buy - YT is great just type in the synth you like the sound off and watch - plus if you can get to a music shop the better to actually try out yourself

Yamaha An1x

[quote]slender (08/01/2011)[hr]Honestly mate do as much research you possibly can before you buy - YT is great just type in the synth you like the sound off and watch - plus if you can get to a music shop the better to actually try out yourself[/quote]

the problem with going to a music store is, not many music stores stock classic synths like Jupiter-8, Juno-6, 60 or 106, SH-1 & SH101 or Earlier Korgs and Nord synths

[quote]Jon_fisher (08/01/2011)[hr][quote]slender (08/01/2011)[hr]Honestly mate do as much research you possibly can before you buy - YT is great just type in the synth you like the sound off and watch - plus if you can get to a music shop the better to actually try out yourself[/quote]

the problem with going to a music store is, not many music stores stock classic synths like Jupiter-8, Juno-6, 60 or 106, SH-1 & SH101 or Earlier Korgs and Nord synths[/quote]

I totally agree - but with those classic synths you sorta know what your buying simply because of their reputation - all I wanted to stress is do as much research as possible before they spend their hard earned cash

it also depends on how deep into synthesis you are…

I have a bunch of analog gear. I would suggest getting a Juno 106 for your first synth. It sounds amazing, is a poly synth, it has midi, its relatively cheap (especially for what you get), and its SUPER easy to program. I ended up getting my Prophet 08 as my first synth. Although I dont regret it, at the time, it was way too much synth for me. Pick wisely and do research.

One more bit of advice. I am a fan of analog gear. Read the fine print. Not all synths are analog. The only synth I would buy that isn’t analog is the Nord Lead. Although a Virus is an amazing synth, its not for me. All my gear has a 100% signal path (except for my Juno which has DCO instead of VCO, the but rest of the path is analog…). Just something to think about.

[quote]Jon_fisher (08/01/2011)[hr]Korg M1 or Nord Lead[/quote]

An M1???..only use that has these days is as a controller or if you want ‘‘that’’ piano sound that just about every rave track from 1990 onwards used.

If you want an all round great synth then look at a Virus, the TI is the latest but you can pick up a Virus C pretty cheap now and it can make the same sounds. Roland V-synth and Nord Lead are good aswell.

To be honest VST’s like the Native Instruments and Spectrasonics stuff or Ref FX Nexus 2 are amazing vsts so you dont really need hardware

Ive got the plugin M1 so not so sure bout getting the real deal although im sure it sounds better!

Like you all say, I need to try some out in a shop or something before making a move.

I did quite like the look of the Juno on youtube & Ive heard a few people bang on about it…

The problem with trying em is Im limited to what I can try in my city, theres only a couple of shops & they dont stock a great selection for trial…

Im gonna youtube some more & scratch me head:w00t:

Well, since you didn’t list a budget, maybe this? :smiley:

MiniMoog Voyager XL

I’ll take two please :smiley:

I have mine on order…

[quote]howiegroove (09/01/2011)[hr]I have mine on order…[/quote]

I have it on my list but won’t be able to get it until later this year and due to its limited nature I fear they may all be gone by then. :crying:

Well the one i want is a Moog Little Phatty 2 :smiley:

But then i don’t really know much about hardware synths, just think the MLP looks awesome haha.

[quote]pakadoom (08/01/2011)[hr][quote]Jon_fisher (08/01/2011)[hr]Korg M1 or Nord Lead[/quote]

An M1???..only use that has these days is as a controller or if you want ‘‘that’’ piano sound that just about every rave track from 1990 onwards used.

If you want an all round great synth then look at a Virus, the TI is the latest but you can pick up a Virus C pretty cheap now and it can make the same sounds. Roland V-synth and Nord Lead are good aswell.

To be honest VST’s like the Native Instruments and Spectrasonics stuff or Ref FX Nexus 2 are amazing vsts so you dont really need hardware[/quote]

don’t talk silly man :wink: the Korg M1 is full of great sounds, it’s full of lush sounding chord stab, organ, pads aswell as piano sound everything you want in deep house to be fair and thats what the original poster asked for.

Its easy to recommend a virus, everyone recommends the virus, even those that don’t own one. its a synth thats reputation quite often out performs the synth lol

[quote]Roben (09/01/2011)[hr]Well the one i want is a Moog Little Phatty 2 :smiley:

But then i don’t really know much about hardware synths, just think the MLP looks awesome haha.[/quote]

I have one of those too.

For me I have to say I made the right choice buying my virus TI, it’s so easy to set up and use and the sounds I am getting out of it just bring a smile to my face:) There customer service is the best I have come across and they keep giving free updates and sound sets!